Victim Credits Witness With Saving His Life

By: KKTV Email
By: KKTV Email

An armed home invasion victim tells only 11 News his traumatizing story.

Eric Wellington is crediting a witness with saving his life. That’s because the witness noticed two men in masks driving around with duct tape covering their license plate. They followed the car to Wellington’s house and called police.

Wellington can’t wait to hold his 7-year-old son in his arms again. He admires a picture of him, just thankful he survived the most terrifying ordeal of his life.

“I was freaking out. I didn't know what to think. All I could see was a silver gun point right at me,” said Wellington.

Two masked armed robbers held the 32-year-old hostage in his own basement. They took all the cash out of his pockets, held him to the ground, and tied his hands behind his back.

“They were tying me up and starting throwing pillows and blankets over my head. And he just pushed the gun to my head saying 'I'm gonna kill you, I'm gonna kill you,'” said Wellington.

But before the gunman could pull the trigger, there was a knock at the door.

“One of the gunmen put the gun to my head and walked me to the door...told me to go upstairs and get rid of the cops now. And told me not to say anything or they would kill me,” said Wellington.

Instead the cops got Wellington out safely, and arrested the two men.

Now all Wellington can think about is the witness who was brave enough to call police to save his life.

"My son has a father now still because of it and my parents still have their kid. You might not know exactly what you did, but I want you to know I thank you with all my heart,” said Wellington to the anonymous witness.

Wellington tells 11 News it’s now his mission to be one of those observant neighbors, maybe to help someone else someday.

And he encourages others to take action when they spot something wrong.

Police say the two suspects are Pueblo residents Willie Robbins, 30, and Orlando Andrews, 37. They are currently in the Pueblo County Jail arrested for first degree burglary, robbery and menacing.

Wellington says he recognized Robbins from his high school, but says they have not been in contact since then.

Wellington tells us the two men walked out of the house pretending that they knew him, and telling police that he invited them inside.

“The two suspects walked outside the house like they owned it, like nothing was wrong” said Wellington.

But he says that could not be further from the truth.

Wellington says they couldn’t have been in the basement any more than five minutes. He believes the men were putting pillows behind his head to use as a silencer and that they were planning on killing him. But because of the witness who called police, that didn’t happen.

“Just be more proactive as citizens out there. If you do see something wrong, don’t turn a blind eye to it. You never know that one thing you do may actually be a big thing, and help stop a tragedy or even save somebody’s life,” said Wellington.

Police recovered one gun from the scene. They are still investigating the crime.

• by Ashley Location: Pueblo on Mar 10, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    Eric was not present during Roy's Murder. If he was he would have been charged! Just because he was friends with Herb and so was alot of people. Word on the street there was a lot of people that knew what happen to Roy and no one came foward so your point is?
  • by Ashley Location: Pueblo on Mar 10, 2012 at 11:19 AM
    @Ms. Tell It all: Eric is not a criminal. The only unproductive citizen here is Willie Robins and Owens. They chose him because he was set up by a mutual friend that set up Justin Reems too. Willie Robins and his crew did the same thing to Justin, and neither of them were doing something illegal. Before you run your mouth you should know the facts. If your a child of god than you should know that "ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE YOU".
  • by Ashley Location: pueblo on Mar 10, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    @Ms.Tell It all :how can you say that he is not a productive citizen? do you talk to him or know anything about his current life? Obviously not! Eric is a very good father to his son and HOLDS a full time job pays his taxes maybe he did make mistakes growing u as do we all.
  • by Ms.Tell It All on Mar 2, 2012 at 05:04 PM
    Ashley u are on here talkin like Eric is some productive citizen..I think not..he stays in some sh** just like the dudes who robbed him! Therefore u knew exactly who I was referrin to and yes Eric was involved with the Roy Mitchell murder why would he get on the stand and lie about his "friend" or even talk so bad about him!? Since Eric was young he has always been in some kind of drama this is just a taste of karma boo they chose him for a reason! Last Im a child of God I dont need any of ur blessings!
  • by Ashley Location: Pueblo on Mar 2, 2012 at 01:33 PM
    @ MS. TELL IT ALL Eric did not deserve this! People make mistakes Eric is innocent and for you to post a dumb comment like that may god have mercy on you! You should be ashamed..
  • by Ashley Location: Pueblo on Mar 2, 2012 at 01:30 PM
    @ MS. TELL IT ALL Does it matter Eric has not committed a crime. Herb Hudson is responsible for Roy's murder and he was not there at the crime scene. Just because he was friends with both the party's doesn't mean anything.
  • by Ms.Tell It All on Mar 1, 2012 at 11:02 PM
    Believe it or not Eric is not an Angel his life was spared but he himself has been in a situation associated with a murder he knew about and did not tell the truth or come forward with what he knew!!
  • by j nositall Location: Pueblo on Mar 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM
    Pueblo Police couldn't even solve a case of who took the cookie out the cookie jar about the only thing their good for is giving DUIs. If this home invasion that Willy robbins was involved in isn't enough evidence for the Pueblo Police to open up their eyes and realize that Derek Wagners killer(Willy Robbins)was released by the Pueblo Police and free to continue to threaten and possibly take another persons life. Way to go Pueblo police keep up the good work! Huh what a joke!
  • by J Dawg Location: Pueblo on Mar 1, 2012 at 10:36 PM
    Same thing happened to me about two years ago and now I am led to believe willy robbins was one of the 3 masked gunmen that attacked me one night in my own carport Tyrell Duggan is behind all of this and probably had something to do with setting up derek wagners death
  • by stevedave on Mar 1, 2012 at 08:26 PM
    Before he could pull the tripper? Do you think he meant trigger? Great job proofreading, guys!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 141110563 - kktv.com/a?a=141110563