Pueblo Teen Gets Max Sentence For 2010 Killing

By: KKTV/AP
By: KKTV/AP

A Pueblo teenager who shot and killed a homeowner who interrupted a robbery has received the maximum sentence of 40 years in a plea agreement.

Torey Kuznicki, 18, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the 2010 killing of Michael Hopkins, rather than face a first-degree murder charge.

In June of 2010, Hopkins' body was found in his Pueblo West home by a relative. The 50-year-old had been shot multiple times. An investigation revealed that Hopkins had been shot after interrupting a burglary in progress.

For six months after Hopkins' death, the trail ran cold, as police were unable to get any leads on a possible suspect. Eventually the murder weapon, which had been sold multiple times since the shooting, materialized, which prompted several acquaintances of Kuznicki to step forward with information. Officers were told that Kuznicki knew details about Hopkins' death that only someone at the scene should know, and were able to find a connection between suspect and victim where there previously had been none.

By the time Kuznicki was named as a prime suspect, he had already fled to suburban Chicago. He was apprehended at a hotel in December of 2010. At the time, his name was withheld due to his still being a minor.

The plea agreement Friday set a maximum sentence of 40 years. Kuznicki was charged as an adult

• by Debbie Location: CO on Jan 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    I have to laugh at this....Taxpayers foot the bill, and they sit on their butts doing not a thing. Use to be NO Tv, No education, Not not a thing extra. There was the prison garden, dairy and some other things to do for them to earn money for the prison and them selfs, but now days they think they still have rights. I hate to tell them, they lost their rights the day they did wrong. Freedom is what you get for fighting for your country, and not against it!!! I strongly feel you took a life, then why should you get to life yours?? I know there are those of you who say this is the wrong way of thinking, but you know what, why in the hell should I have to pay for them, when there is people on the real world who dont have food in their bellies, or a roof over their heads, or better yet money for meds that is needed to keep them healthy??? I pray that some day this country will get its priorities straight..
  • by C Location: COS on Jan 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM
    every time I read stuff like this it makes me wanna get my concealed carry permit. sad world we live in and it makes me angry that this scumbag could get out and do it again. what a bs sentence. hopefully someone gets him in the pen.
  • by Chris Location: Pueblo on Jan 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    The big picture is far more disturbing than you think the state government makes money off of everyone that is in the system the long the sentence the bigger the pay check and residual, so why would they kill a money tree, it absurd but if it was up to Colorado everyone would be in the clink so that they can afford they own salaries.
  • by Holli Location: Cos on Jan 29, 2012 at 09:17 AM
    It's sad that these murders get to go to prison and have 3 meals a day, clean clothes, cable tv and get to get an education!!They get to live better than a lot of people do. Just do to them what they did to someone else so we hard working tax payers don't have to pay for them to have what they don't deserve!
  • by *v* Location: colo spgs on Jan 29, 2012 at 08:55 AM
    It amazes me that child molesters and murders get less time than burglars and con artists. These judges need to rethink some sentences they've handed out over the years......smdh
  • by anonymous Location: colorado springs on Jan 29, 2012 at 07:54 AM
    @Kirk shaking my head in agreement with you. I don`t care if he pleaded guilty, murder is murder so i think he should get life for the life he took.
  • by Kirk Location: Colorado Springs on Jan 29, 2012 at 07:25 AM
    NO amount of years in prison is enough time to pay for a murder! Even if he DOES serve the 40 years, what's he going to do for a living after he gets out? He COULD learn a skill in prison,I suppose,but I think he could just as well STAY in prison for all I care. He CHOSE to kill the homeowner,so I have ZERO sympathy for him.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138286069 - kktv.com/a?a=138286069