KKTV 11 News | Colorado Springs, Pueblo | Pueblo News

Burn Victim Dies After Overnight Fire

By: KKTV Email
By: KKTV Email

A southern Colorado man has died in a critical burn unit after his bedroom caught fire overnight.

According to the Pueblo Fire Department, the fire began at 2:37 a.m. in one unit of the Kona Kai apartment complex, located at 2216 7th Avenue. A neighbor heard the smoke detector and reported the fire to dispatchers.

The first firefighters to arrive found the flames in the apartment’s bedroom, and quickly put them out with two fire extinguishers.

Firefighters believe the cause was accidental. They believe the 79-year-old man who lives in the apartment was on medical oxygen, and was smoking at the time of the fire.

The man was taken to a local hospital with critical burn injuries, and then airlifted to University Hospital’s Burn Unit in Denver. He died in Denver.

Firefighters say no other tenants were impacted by the fire and were never evacuated. The damage to the victim’s apartment was minimal.


KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.

If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.

powered by Disqus
KKTV 520 E. Colorado Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Office: (719) 634-2844 Fax: (719) 632-0808 News Fax: (719) 634-3741
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 139099064