Pueblo Chieftain Lays Off 11 Employees

The Pueblo Chieftain's staff is now slightly smaller. The newspaper let 11 employees go.

According to Chieftain Managing Editor Steven Henson, most of the employees were in production areas. More than 200 people are on the Chieftan's staff.

Here is the complete statement from the newspaper regarding the layoffs:

From Steve Henson
Chieftain Managing Editor

Jan. 5, 2011

Thursday, The Pueblo Chieftain reduced its staff of more than 200 by 11 employees.

The consolidation of duties, mostly in the production areas, was a
response to the struggling economy, which has affected many businesses.

We believe there will be no changes for our readers or advertisers in content, delivery or customer service. And we will continue to work hard to provide the most complete and comprehensive news operation in Southern Colorado, as we have for 144 years.

• by Sally Location: Hay on Jan 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    The Chieftain had to lay off employees. Reason? to stay in afloat during this economic crises. With Obama in office, the terminated employees will be able to collect unemployment for at least a year, and maybe more. As a senior on Social Security, I supplement my income by delivering papers in Pueblo West. Changes made by the new GM were cost cutting. They were made to ensure the Chieftain will stay afloat. End result, the Chieftain is still in business, I can still pay my mortgage, and many others still have a job. Suffice it to say there were two sides to this situation, and the Chieftain's GM had to make an uncomfortable decision in order to keep the Chieftain in business.
  • by Hippie Chick Location: Pueblo on Jan 20, 2012 at 07:12 AM
    Profits ahead of people that's how business works. For many years The Pueblo Chieftain treated it's workers like family, and we were all part of one big team who got the paper out every day. Each one of us felt like we were doing something important, we felt valued, so we were VERY loyal employees. I worked for the Chieftain for over 15 years and up until the year of my employment always felt valued and part of the team. I'm glad I'm not there now, because I would be sad every day to see what is happening to my hometown newspaper. Things change and I know businesses have to change, but at least do it in a fair manner.
  • by resident Location: pueblo on Jan 15, 2012 at 07:04 AM
    Maybe the new GM should drive a different vehicle than a $50,000 Harley Davidson Truck - I am sure that was a years wages for someone he laid off. Wake up Mr. Rawlings and see that the new GM is running the Chieftain in the ground!!!
  • by martinez Location: pueblo on Jan 8, 2012 at 01:04 PM
    Really is a shame dont you think its hard enough looking for a job much less now that your older its even harder not a very wise or sensitive move the paper made
  • by Resident Location: Pueblo West on Jan 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM
    Insult your readers' intelligence on a daily basis and raise your rates. How's that working for you, Chieftain (or should I say - Henson?)
  • by Native Location: Pueblo on Jan 6, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    This is it. I will NOT RENEW my subscription. The attitude of the Rawlings family and Steve Henson toward people who do actual work is disgusting. Simply a way to not pay retirement to dedicated employees. I AM DONE WITH THE CHIEFTAIN. (And their "new" website is a pile of @#$%.)
  • by Fonso Location: Pueblo on Jan 6, 2012 at 08:33 AM
    What happen to The Chieftain's loyalty to it's long term employees. When a person works for one company, like the Chieftain for 30 to 42 years, the employee is showing it's loyalty to the company. the Chieftain should be ashame of it's self. Really!!!
  • by Anonymous on Jan 6, 2012 at 12:30 AM
    Over half the people cut today had between 30-42 years put in at the Chieftain - they were summarily pushed out the door without so much as an option for a retirement. With armed guards present I might add. Ridiculous.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 6, 2012 at 12:26 AM
    The Rawlings family running the paper were conveniently out of town while all this was going on.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 5, 2012 at 10:14 PM
    Surprisingly be interesting to know about what the Rawlings family was doing while all this was going on?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136756343 - kktv.com/a?a=136756343