Officer Shoots Dog During Attack, Owner Cited

By: KKTV Email
By: KKTV Email

Some scary moments for two Southern Colorado women and a police officer, reportedly attacked by a dog.

The dog attacked the women first, then turned his attention to the officer after he arrived on scene to help. The dog reportedly charged at the officer, who says he pulled the trigger out of self defense.

Police say the attack was caught on the officer’s dash cam.

Luellen Bearde said the incident started while she and a co-worker were walking through the Country Side Estates in Pueblo. The dog charged at her companion; Bearde sprung into action.

"I got between her and the dog with my dolly. I tried to protect her from the dog. He just kept coming at me at the same time with those vicious teeth,” Bearde recalled.

The duo got away and called 911 to let them know a dog was on the loose.

Police say the dog attacked the responding officer, prompting him to fire two shots. The bullets went straight into the street, scaring the dog away. The dog was not harmed.

The officer had a right to shoot at the dog out of self defense if he felt his life is threatened, police told 11 News.

The dog's owner, Robert Sulls, says he has a hard time believing his dog could have done something like that.

"If there was even a chance of her to be vicious, I wouldn't even have her,” said Sulls.

Sulls was not home for either attack, and says he was shocked when he heard the news. He says he trains all his dogs to be friendly, especially around kids.

“I have kids that can literally jump on them, play on them, do whatever, and they won’t even show their teeth,” said Sulls.

Sulls brought out the dog to show the two ladies that she was a friendly dog.

"Anyone one of these kids that are out here could probably walk up to her and pet her, and she would sit there just like a big baby and just love every minute of it,” said Sulls.

While Sulls says he has never had a complaint about his dog Sakira Rose before, now he is being asked to lock up the boxer-mix.

"I don't like putting dogs to sleep, but I think dogs should be on a chain when they are that vicious, especially when this trailer park is full of kids,” said Bearde.

Animal Control tells 11 News there were conflicting reports about whether it was the same dog who attacked the officer and the women.

For the attack on the women, the owner was issued a warning for having a potentially vicious dog. He could face a court case and/or a fine for the citation of the dog attack on the officer.

• by Laura on Mar 30, 2012 at 04:33 AM
    All pepper spray is not created equally. The pepper spray the mailmen have is not strong enough to stop a really determined dog. Then, on the other end of the spectrum, there is the bear spray which CAN deter a bear, but I believe the manufacturers warn the buyer not to put absolute faith in it! Then, there is the middle of the road pepper spray, which would stop most dogs, but, according to what I've read, may only serve to p-ss off rotties and pitties. Too bad somebody couldn't invent something that is legal to carry, would stop even a very determined attacking pit bull, without killing it, and didn't cause collateral damage if you miss. That "something" would probably save a lot of lives and damage.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    Appropriate. http://imgur.com/R7wHf
  • by at ban on Mar 29, 2012 at 09:28 PM
    You missed my point in the begining. The cop should not have used his gun. Yes, it is just an animal. Yes, I stretched what you meant. Recklessly using a gun is my point. Pepper spray works with big brown bears in Alaska. A taser would have worked. You never ever point a gun at something unless you are going to kill it. This cop needs more training if he shoot to scare it off. If he tried to shoot the dog and missed then he needs more training. Yes I have been in his position as well as with a bear. I dont get on here to make stories up or to bull----. I critize the police from experience. When people blindly beleive the police and all their actions is when there are issues. Just like TSA illegally searching us when we fly. Bad dog owners are the problem not the dogs. Dogs do get free. Yes lots of people get hurt by dogs but a little common sense would go a long way to reducing the numbers. I think that we both can agree on that fact,Ban.
  • by truth on Mar 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    So i was correct you are a liberal. Hmm. It is just an opinion so maybe you should understand what an opinion means. Yes some conservatives are stupid. But how did i know you were a liberal?
      by Jeff on Mar 29, 2012 at 02:51 PM in reply to truth
      Whom are directing your comments too? You appear to be talking to yourself and come across as an idiot.
        by Anonymous on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM in reply to Jeff
        Not to mention he thought I was the other guy he was complaining about. I'm a completely other person who was agreeing with him who is liberal.
  • by at ban on Mar 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    30 people died by dog attacks a year with 310 million people and at least as many dogs. Its ok for people to shoot dogs for a maybe. Then according to your thought process shooting drunks is ok since more than 10000 people die a year. Its ok with you there was over 360,000 abortions last year? I dont like dog owners so shoot them too? Shoot first ask questions later. Hell yes protect yourself but use some common sense. I first made the comment the cop should have use a taser or pepper spray instead of shooting his gun. Others tried to change the subject. So randem shooting of guns in neigbborhoods is ok with you as long as its a cop,or for maybe a killler dog. Hmm ok
      by Ban on Mar 29, 2012 at 08:33 PM in reply to at ban
      It's okay to kill an animal in self defense. Yes. Oh, and although there were 30 fatal dog attacks, there are many, many, many more life alterating maulings, amputations, scalpings, etc. from pit bull type dogs each year. You sure can stretch things "at ban" because there is a big difference between shooting an attacking dog that is capable of killing or maiming you, than shooting a drunk driver or an abortionist. Animals are not the same as people. We EAT animals. (Steak anyone?) Also, tasers and pepper spray may or may not stop an attacking pit bull. And, one more point while I'm here: it is SO easy to stand in judgement of the police officer, but guess what, HE was there, WE weren't!
  • by OBJECTIVE TRUTH on Mar 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM
    T--"If someone states tasers will not bring down,stop a bull,dog, bear they are lying." Good grief!! You just don't get it, do you? The person may be mistaken in his opinion, but he is not LYING. Try comprehending the difference between the two words.
  • by Art Location: Colorado on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    @Anonymous: maybe next time, the ricochet will hit you or someone you know.
  • by wow on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    At daily bs..
    I dont think you want the truth. I will make you look like a fool. I will prove everything i say. Can you?
  • by T objective truth on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    If someone states tasers will not bring down,stop a bull,dog, bear they are lying. Watch videos and talk to Hans who was tased by an x-26 taser. To tell someone it wont is lying. Facts are facts. Liberals need to stop trying to misrepresent facts. Maybe you grammer nazis and people who misreprent facts should try to look at the truth. I will back every thing i stat with facts. Can you? No!
      by Anonymous on Mar 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM in reply to T objective truth
      What's being liberal got to do with it? I know a taser will work, and think these people are stupid for thinking otherwise. Just because I think they're stupid and i'm a liberal should I call them stupid conservatives?
  • by Anonymous on Mar 29, 2012 at 09:56 AM
    How did we end up with so many people who are scared of dogs on here? Even if you did get bit (which dogs will charge and bark, but rarely bite) is it worth putting the animal down? Bites aren't serious injury except to small children, but I suppose those who act like children think they will be hurt.
      by Ban on Mar 29, 2012 at 11:23 AM in reply to
      You're kidding, right? I'm sure the people (adults and children, alike) who have been fatally attacked by dogs (mostly pit bulls) would, if they could, strongly disagree with your comment that bites are not dangerous. Approximately 30 people are killed by dogs in this Country alone, every year. That's 30 too many. You are correct, however, when you say that most dogs just charge and bark, but rarely bite. But, that's most dogs. We're talking about pit bulls. They do more than charge and bite. They maul and kill. I don't believe the dog in this story was a boxer mix any more than the other poster did. It looked like a pit to me too. Given the history of that breed, I think the officer did the right thing. Too bad he missed. I fear we'll be hearing from that dog again sometime in the future but I hope not.
        by Anonymous on Mar 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM in reply to Ban
        Well I see your other arguments and you seem to agree that deadly force shouldn't be used on an animal. Which I think it's fine to use something like pepper spray or a taser. Yes pit bulls are 'more dangerous' in the sense that if they bite, they have the 'grip and rip' type of bite and are strong. Dogs wont bite unless they're trained to or provoked though, including pit bulls.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 144750985 - kktv.com/a?a=144750985