Fatal Motor Scooter Accident Investigated, Teen Could Face Charges

A teen could be charged after a fatal collision between a Jeep Cherokee and motor scooter Tuesday afternoon, which left one man dead.

The Pueblo District Attorney could make the decision as early as Friday.

At 3:28 p.m. Tuesday, Pueblo police were called out to the intersection of Pine Street and Indiana Avenue on a traffic serious traffic accident.

A 19-year-old girl was traveling southbound on Pine Street in a Jeep Cherokee. According to witnesses in the area, she stopped at the stop sign at Pine Street and Indiana Avenue. She then proceeded from the stop sign and collided with a motor scooter.

The 26-year-old driver of the motor scooter was transported by ambulance to Parkview Hospital with critical injuries. At approximately 4:51 p.m., the male driver, Jacob Marez, died of those injuries. The female driver was not injured.

Police say alcohol does not appear to be a factor at this time.

A memorial fund for Marez is set up at Security Services Bank.

• by Jessica Knight Location: Pueblo on Apr 24, 2012 at 08:18 AM
    Well let me start by saying that Jake was a good friend of mine, and he will be sadly missed. The young girl that made this grave mistake will always have that shadow hanging over her. She should be charged with wreckless driving at the least. A young life was taken and now every happy time in that young girls life, it will be forever plauged by Jakes last day on earth. Im not sticking up for her but is that not a harsh enough punishment. God Bless you Flo you and you family.
  • by Flo on Apr 23, 2012 at 06:12 AM
    I wish you could have met my son. Jake was super intelligent, strikingly handsome, and most importantly, he had a compassionate nature. Thank you to JT, Josh, Sally, Delores Joe & Rodney. Your kind words are greatly appreciated. To R; Jake had bright orange scooter, ha was not speeding, he did not have a stop sign. How does a little scooter compete with a 2 ton Jeep? I have faith in Pueblo Police (some officers were his friends) we'll just have to wait for her cellphone records, and her BAC. We gathered at the accident site because we didn't know how to handle our grief.
  • by JT Location: pueblo on Apr 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    In this day and age everyone needs to think and pay attention more as gas prices go up more and more people are switching to smaller and smaller vehicles to save money. This would have been true for this man also as i knew him well. I have seen what happens in pueblo with drivers who think they own the road as i have watched them try to run HARLEYS off the road which if you've ever stood next to a harley running how do you miss that noise. What would they have done if it would have been some old lady on her can-am that got hit. If the prosecutors do their jobs correctly this girl should loose her license for a period of time at the least. As i have just been informed a hedge was apperntly in the way and should have the cities attention to be removed as it is a hazard. But ofcourse like all things that involve a court system it will be all screwed up because as the old saying goes "the laws were made to protect the guilty cause the innocent dont need them." In ending i think this should be a wake up call for all drivers to PAY ATTENTION and share the road.
  • by Sally on Apr 16, 2012 at 05:30 PM
    I didn't really know Jake but it's a very sad tradegy I worked with him at convergys for the short while he worked there and it's very sad that the day he got vacation time off and got off early and got hit and died from his injuries he'll be missed by everyone he had worked with at convergys.
  • by josh Location: Cedar and Indiana. Pueblo on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:51 PM
    Sorry bout the multiple comments my phone was acting up lol
  • by Josh Location: Cedar and Indiana. Pueblo on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:45 PM
    As I drove home tonight I witnessed a beautiful memorial that appeared to be a candlelight vigil for a young man my age who lost his life when he collided with a Jeep on his motor scooter thursday evening it is a tragedy that this has happened and eventhough I'm a total stranger to him and his family I'm sending my condolences and prayers to his family and friends it seems he was a very highly thought of man and a very loved person.
  • by Josh Location: Cedar and Indiana. Pueblo on Apr 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM
  • by Josh Location: Cedar and Indiana. Pueblo on Apr 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM
  • by Josh Location: Cedar and Indiana. Pueblo on Apr 13, 2012 at 10:55 PM
      by Flo on Apr 23, 2012 at 12:11 AM in reply to Josh
      Thank you JT, Josh, Sally, Delores, and David. He was very much loved by his family and friends. We didn't know how to handle our grief, so we gathered at the accident site, to pray and share stories I have faith in Pueblo Police (some officers were Jake's friends). To R, Jake's scooter was bright orange, his headlight was always on, he was not speeding, he did not have a stop sign, THIS WAS NOT HIS FAULT. How does under 500 lbs. Scooter compete with a 2 ton Jeep? I'm sure everything will come out when the DA has the cellphone records and her BAC.
  • by Josh Location: Cedar and Indiana. Pueblo on Apr 13, 2012 at 10:28 PM
    I live a block away and heard the crash of the collision walked over and helped a security guard direct traffic which were trying to drive past. I have worked in traffic control for some time and it was just instincts but i want to send Jacobs family my deepest prayers and condolences at this difficult time of great loss. My prayers are with u, god bless.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 147268165 - kktv.com/a?a=147268165