A woman was fast asleep in her home Friday morning as flames began to spread.
She lives alone, and the situation could have easily turned deadly.
But her dog Max sensed trouble and sprung into action.
The woman tells 11 News that Max woke her up, barking, to alert her to the flames. She and Max were able to get out safely before the flames engulfed her home.
Smoke was so thick at the scene that a large plume could be seen from nearby Highway 50. When firefighters arrived at the home, just minutes after the woman called 911, the home was fully engulfed. It was a total loss.
Our reporter on scene described the charred remains as "flattened."
The call came in at 7:16 a.m. It took a few hours to get completely extinguished, though firefighters were able to contain it quickly.
The mobile home is located on the 7800 block of Highway 50 West, outside Pueblo West.
At this time, authorities speculate that a space heater may be the cause, but this has not been definitively confirmed.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.