Man Dead, Child Injured After Motorcycle Accident

One man is dead and a 9-year-old girl hospitalized after a motorcycle accident Thursday afternoon.

The Pueblo County Sheriff's Office says 36-year-old Brian Abeyta, whose driver's license was revoked, was out on his motorcycle just after 4 p.m. when he got in an accident with a truck. The sheriff's office says the accident occurred just outside a Pueblo West mobile home community at the intersection of Homer and Tolstoi.

Neither Abeyta or his 9-year-old passenger were wearing helmets at the time of the accident. Both were taken to Parkview Medical Center in Pueblo; the child was later flown to the Denver Children's Hospital, where she remains hospitalized. There is no word about the status of those in the truck.

Abeyta succumbed to his injuries Friday morning. The severity of the child's injuries are unknown at this time.

• by janine Location: c springs, ço on Jul 26, 2011 at 01:29 AM
    I'm in shock, id like too send out my love and prayers too all familys involved. I was a friend too Brian and would like if a family member would call me, id like too share my saport, u can reach me @ 719-464-0576, or 719-360-4069 thank you. Please have John call me Janine
  • by janine Location: c springs, ço on Jul 26, 2011 at 12:47 AM
  • by just me Location: pueblo west on Jul 24, 2011 at 03:17 PM
    im so sad the man died and the girl was hurt so bad does any one know the truck driver had his girlfiend and there 2 year old son in the truck when he checked on his family he jumped out of the truck called 911 and alot of people was helping the man the truck driver heard something and it was the child he was talking to her and 911 to keep her calm think of all involed it has hurt everyone to please pray for everyone thanks
  • by rc Location: colorado springs on Jul 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    She was actually flown to Memorial
  • by Mr X Location: se spgs on Jul 23, 2011 at 05:00 AM
    IDIOT!
  • by Resident Location: Pueblo West on Jul 22, 2011 at 02:26 PM
    There is a helmet law for children under the age of 18. Come out to Pueblo West and see the people riding four-wheelers, dirt bikes and even riding lawn mowers on the streets. It is simply a matter of entitlement with some folks out here, just like not stopping at those red octogons that say STOP. We no longer have traffic officers in the sheriff's department from what I hear, so who is going to stop them? Our family is praying for the victims of this tragedy. GOD BLESS YOU ALL.
  • by Paul on Jul 22, 2011 at 02:15 PM
    I had a very close call 35 year sago on a street bike. That did it for me. I sold it that next day and have never looked back. I hope and pray for this family to recover.
  • by kris on Jul 22, 2011 at 02:08 PM
    I agree with Jon. That man made a terrible choice to ride a bike when his license is revoked, but even a dumber choice to risk the life of a 9 year old. He never should have been riding that motorcycle. The child should have had a Helmet on no matter what the circumstances were. Pure ignorance on his part. Stop making excuses for this man's stupidity!!!!
  • by Road Rash on Jul 22, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    I don't know why this state don't make it illegal for a rider/passenger to ride a motor bike without an helmet. This state can cry foul about seatbelts not being used but an helmet not worn on a motorbike it's ok. Now I know someone is going to throw out statitics about the the survival percentage without a helmet being worn. I tell you what jump on your bike and go about 60 mph and then lay the back down on the pavement so your head can hit the pavement one or more times and then come back and tell me how was it. Then let me know when you want to go out and do it again so I can watch. However, most riders will be the first one to tell they love ones to buckle up in an automobile. When I see someone die needlessly in this state because they wasn't wearing a helmet then the loves ones can thank this state for the rider selfishness.
  • by Brandi Location: Walsenburg on Jul 22, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    I know this family and its sad enough to lose a son and have your niece severly injured, there is no reason to pass judgement. People make stupid choices all the time and this family will pay for it the rest of their lives.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 126019454 - kktv.com/a?a=126019454