Hillary Clinton To Gay Teens: "It Gets Better"

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has joined the chorus of public leaders offering support for gay teenagers who are suffering from bullying.

She posted a message on YouTube Wednesday, saying she is saddened by the recent uptick in suicides among gay teens. In her message, Clinton says that it shows our nation needs to work harder to overcome bigotry and hatred.

"I have a message for all the young people out there who are being bullied, or who feel alone and find it hard to imagine a better future: hang in there and ask for help. Your life is so important," Clinton said.

Clinton also says she is "grateful every day" for the work of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees at the State Department.

She points out that those people overcame discrimination, and promises victims of bullying that things "will get better."

• by Q Location: Peyton on Oct 21, 2010 at 08:12 AM
    Bev and Lawrence, best posts that I have read in a long time.
  • by Gail on Oct 21, 2010 at 07:18 AM
    I am sure Hillary has won a few supporters. Typical politician.. Just say what people want to hear and they will follow you everywhere.
  • by Lawrence Location: CS on Oct 20, 2010 at 10:45 PM
    My life could solidly be classified as abused, ridiculed, slandered, beatup, always from the wrong side of the tracks, abandoned, too thin, too fat, too outgoing, too not with it, and a list of other don't fit in descriptive wrongs. I never once used sexual orientation as an excuse for the reason why. I have been discriminated against in the job market due to being the wrong sex, not Gay, not Bi, and for not being a Lesbian. What I can't figure out is if I do a job better than most of my peers, I am educated, upwardly mobile and do reach out a hand to assist those less fortunate and yet there is always some group with an agenda that says something is wrong with me. If this is the way that Gays and Lesbians quiver, rant, and act like little kids then please do not ask for my support. I am quite happy being me and will not make excuses for myself.
  • by Mayor Ryan on Oct 20, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    @Amdrew: Excellent analysis. @Bev: Hey, I worked in the circus :( But honestly, good point as well.
  • by knowing on Oct 20, 2010 at 06:51 PM
    Try to imagine this world without bullies...so much to accomplish, yet time is wasted on pointing out people that are "different"...real or perceived. Time to let go of the fear of "different" and just love one another.
  • by Andrew Location: Chicago on Oct 20, 2010 at 05:45 PM
    Nath, as long as you want all straight couples to adhere to the same standards as you seem to be setting up for "those people" -- which I suspect would involve no kissing, handholding or even acknowledgment that this is your romantic partner whatsoever -- then I'll buy your comment. Otherwise, get rid of the double standard, yeah?
  • by Bev on Oct 20, 2010 at 05:44 PM
    Maybe these kids have a problem with who they are, that's why they are turning to suicide. Most people have been bullied growing up and they aren't all turning to suicide. As Nath said, keep it to yourself. I'm a lesbian and I don't like to see PDA in any couple, straight or gay, there's a place for it and it's not in public view. If you choose to flaunt it, be prepared for the consequences. If the majority of GLBT didn't act like freaks then maybe people would leave them alone. Grow up and act like an adult, not like some circus freak!
  • by The Voice Location: Colorado Spprings on Oct 20, 2010 at 05:28 PM
    "Hang in there"? Way to go Hillary, another clever response.
  • by Q Location: Peyton on Oct 20, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    How very sad that this happens. Children don't break the cycle because they get it from ignorant parents that bully. So very sad.
  • by Gene on Oct 20, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    And Hillary knows this how?? I always thought she was suspect and expected her to come out after Bill left the White House.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 105363073 - kktv.com/a?a=105363073