Golf Balls Thrown Into Traffic Cause Dangers on Southern Colorado Highway

By: Jason Aubry Email
By: Jason Aubry Email

The last thing we expect while driving down the highway, is a golf ball or a rock smashing into our windshield. But, lately, it's happening on I-25 more and more frequently, putting drivers in danger.

According to the Pueblo Police Department, at least three reports of such occurrences were made last week. Tuesday night, two more incidents occurred according to Rachelle Salinas, one of the victims.

Salinas was traveling south on I-25 around midnight. She was on her way to pick her boyfriend up from work when she was targeted, shattering what would have been a calm, pleasant night.

As Salinas was approaching the Highway 50 bypass, she noticed two or three young people on the western side of the highway. Salinas says, at first she thought they were trying to cross the highway, but as she turned her focus back to the road in front of her she saw two white objects flying at her windshield. "The next thing I know, I just hear this loud sound," says Salinas.

One of the two golf balls struck her windshield near its base, leaving behind circular cracks, the other bounced under her car and ricocheted around in her undercarriage. "I was terrified. I could hear the crackling of the windshield still breaking. I thought that it was going to crash on me; just completely break into pieces. I didn't know what to do," says Salinas.

Realizing she had left her cellphone at home, Salinas kept driving. Once she arrived at her boyfriend's work, they called the police. That's when they learned, she wasn't the only victim that night. "He let me know that it actually happened just 20 minutes before then, to a semi, but actually both golf balls actually went through the windshield," says Salinas.

Pueblo Police are concerned about these reports, and have instructed patrol units to keep watch for suspicious activity. Deputy Chief Andrew McLachlan says, gambling with people's lives is not laughing matter. "If they hit a car, distracted it, and someone died in an accident, criminally negligent homicide or manslaughter charges. This is an extremely dangerous action," says McLachlan.

Meanwhile, Salinas just wants other drivers to be alert on the road. "This has happened several times before in the exact same area, so really keep an eye out when you're going out there day or night, you never know when they're going to strike," says Salinas.

Police say if this happens to you, it may happen so fast you don't have time to react. If you do react though, be sure not to jerk the steering wheel, as this can lead to loss of control of your vehicle. Salinas says, she did jerk her steering wheel and was lucky there was no one in the lane next to her and that she didn't lose control.

• by Maya on Nov 21, 2010 at 09:23 AM
    HEY! FYI, Guest, when you forget a letter, that doesn't qualify you as a drop out. When you completely mispell a word, that qualifies you. And I can use any english I want on this site because I'm not in english class on here. So you ain't got nothin on me. Hahahaha and I'm not a drop out I graduated and now i'm in college so take that. An if your gonna act offended about me calling someone else a drop out, that prly makes you a sensitve high school drop out, awww you poor thing. So.....ya I'm done with you. BYEEEE! Troy: eh??? Idk what an IP address is but I do know I don't throw golf balls I said I agree that its bad. Tom: I have
  • by Jeff Location: Colorado Springs on Nov 21, 2010 at 06:05 AM
    Since when does posting your first name only... Brad.... qualify you as having a "pair", or a "spine"? Hope you don't feel "bashed" by this comment. Your particular brand of criticism would be best served by posting your last name too... but that would also require a "pair", or a "spine".
  • by Easy_Solution on Nov 20, 2010 at 02:43 PM
    This is such an unnesscary problem. Just shut down the golf course...simple. Golf is too overrated and boring anyway.
  • by Brad Location: C/S on Nov 19, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    Guest, get a "pair" or a "spine" and post your name if you're going to "bash" someone in here.
  • by guest on Nov 19, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    To "Maya, you are one to talk about dropping out of school, your whole comment is ghetto and slang, I'm not even sure you know how to properly put a sentence together, "ver"? Uh, try very. "Got guts"? Try, have guts, and "deliquent", no, try delinquent, check yourself first before you try to put someone else down for what you are just as guilty of, drop out
  • by DJR Location: Springs on Nov 19, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    @AMRA--That was you?!?!
  • by Bruce Location: Manitou on Nov 19, 2010 at 07:54 AM
    Jay- right, could'nt possibly be white kids since it happened in Pueblo...ce, I was referring to the comment made by kirk...read between the lines.
  • by Amra Location: Woodland Park on Nov 19, 2010 at 05:39 AM
    I'll have to admit when I was a teen (a long time ago), I tossed ketchup packets at cars on I-25...big red splat when it hit the windshield. BUT...it wouldn't break the windshield. Throwing golf balls at cars is plainly criminal intent. Hope they get caught...
  • by Rene Location: Colorado springs on Nov 19, 2010 at 02:39 AM
    That is horrible. Especially for any of you including the immature culprits that find something like this funny. What if a child or even a baby was in a car they struck. Or if it causes way more damage that just a broken windshield. Some people really need to grow up and get lives. I hope these low lives are caught!!
  • by Troy Location: COS on Nov 19, 2010 at 01:04 AM
    Maya, once you grow up a little bit, you'll realize just how serious this is and understand that absolutely nothing about it is the least bit funny. Automobiles are not toys -- especially on the freeway. The mere fact that you think the looks on those people's faces would be funny shows just how little you know about driving and how easily someone can be killed as a result of this type of behavior. It isn't a gag at all. It is purely psychotic behavior. Hopefully your IP address was logged and the police will investigate you regarding this as a possible suspect.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 109069044 - kktv.com/a?a=109069044