A fire destroys a southern Colorado home and causes $160,000 worth of damage.
The fire was called in by a neighbor at around 11:30 Thursday morning. When fire crews arrived at 389 Wetmore Drive, they found the roof and back of the home on fire.
Several fire crews were called to the scene before the blaze was finally put out. After the investigation, the Pueblo West Fire Department determined the fire was accidental, but were unable to find an exact cause for it.
One of their theories is that a wood burning stove was not extinguished and overheated the wall behind it. The wall would have smoldered before finally catching fire. That fire would have traveled up the wall and into the attic where it expanded and eventually destroyed the home.
The other theory deals with the same wall. Inside of it, electric wires may have sparked the fire. Again the fire would have traveled the same path and caused the same damage.
No one was injured in the fire, as the home owner was at work at the time of the blaze.
Firefighters want to remind people who use wood burning stoves to know how to use them properly. They say because each stove is different, there are variation in how hot they should be allowed to get.
They also say, making sure to fully extinguish a wood burning stove before you leave the house is a vital key to preventing a fire.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus