A southern Colorado daycare is closed Wednesday after a fire gave some parents a scare.
The Pueblo West daycare will stay closed until it's cleaned up and inspected.
Just after 10 a.m., there was a fire alarm at the Children’s Palace located at 973 E. Spaulding Ave. in Pueblo West. Staff and children were evacuated to Snap Fitness located at 198 S. Purcell Blvd. in Pueblo West. The Pueblo County Sheriff's Office says the fire is believed to have started in a dryer.
Many parents were notified by friends and family, some were alerted by Facebook updates sent to their phone. Most parents arrived anxious to know if their child was alright. "I got a call and I thought, oh no, they did something; and then they told me it was a fire and I thought, oh man! I'm even more worried," says Christine Gray, mother of two boys at the daycare.
Fire Chief Brian Caserta with the Pueblo West department, says he was impressed and surprised at how calm the children were when they arrived. "You know most of the time kids are all excited to see fire trucks anyways, but I think they realized the magnitude of what was going on, and they respected that," says Caserta.
Caserta credits the successful evacuation and no injuries to the daycare's emergency plan, which had the children out of the building and accounted for before fire crews arrived. Parents appreciated the organization and planning as well. "The fact that they got everyone here, across the street, safely, it's a positive thing," says Theresa Blattler, mother of a two-year-old boy at the daycare.
The Pueblo West Fire Department says the blaze destroyed the laundry room, where it originated, but they were able to keep it contained to just that room. Other parts of the building suffered smoke damage, all of which will have to be repaired before the daycare can open its doors again.