Delivery Man Saves Woman From Burning Home

A woman

The home on O'Neal Avenue was destroyed by fire.

To join the conversation on this story and others, "like" our KKTV 11 News Facebook page!

A woman's home goes up in flames after she smokes too close to an oxygen tank, but in a strange twist, oxygen tanks may have helped save her life.

According to fire officials, the blaze started just after 9:30 a.m. Wednesday at a home on the 4000 block of O'Neal Avenue in Pueblo.

The Pueblo Fire Department says the woman was smoking inside her living room with her oxygen tank on, which is believed to have started the fire. The woman tried to put the fire out by herself, but was unable to.

Manuel Jurado, a delivery man delivering oxygen to a neighbor, saw the smoke and pulled the woman out. The woman was unharmed, but lost her two cats in the fire. No one else lives in the home.

The fire also caused significant damage to the house -- mostly to the living room -- making it uninhabitable. The Fire Department says the structure is still sound, so the displacement could be temporary. However, the woman lost most of her belongings to heat and smoke.

Family and A Community Organization for Victims Assistance (ACOVA) is assisting the woman in finding a place to stay.

KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.

If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.

powered by Disqus
KKTV 520 E. Colorado Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Office: (719) 634-2844 Fax: (719) 632-0808 News Fax: (719) 634-3741
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 199208201 -
Gray Television, Inc.