Drunk Driver Lands In "Deep" Trouble

By: Kendra Potter Email
By: Kendra Potter Email

High speeds and alcohol land a drunk driver in “deep” trouble. The driver crashed into a hole after trying to escape deputies.

Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office deputies say 27-year-old Mary Johnson was driving over 65 mph in a 45 mph zone down S. Purcell Blvd. in Pueblo West around 1:30 a.m. on July 4th. Sheriff deputies suspected she was drunk and followed her. They say Johnson was all over the road, swerving and hitting curbs as she tried to elude deputies.

In a final attempt to escape, deputies say Johnson turned off her car’s headlights in the 1000 block of Spaulding Ave. While doing so, she drove off the road, and fell into a six foot deep hole at a construction site.

“As she rolled into the ditch, her vehicle was teetering on an edge. Because she was not wearing her seat belt, she was partially out of her vehicle and she was unconscious at the time,” said Public Information Officer Laurie Kilpatrick.

The Sheriff’s Office says Sgt. Shelly Bryant and Deputy Chuck Roldan risked their safety to pull the driver out from under the unstable vehicle.

“They saw the situation and knew there was an extreme risk to her life. They in turn risked their own lives by getting underneath the vehicle and pulling her to safety before the vehicle could actually topple over,” said Kilpatrick.

Johnson was taken to Parkview West Medical Center and later booked in the Pueblo County Jail. She faces multiple charges including vehicle eluding, DUI, driving with a revoked license, reckless driving, and driving without a seat belt. She remains behind bars.

The hole at the construction site has been filled in. Johnson was one of eight suspected drunk drivers arrested in Pueblo County over the 4th of July weekend.

• by Citizen Location: USA on Jul 6, 2011 at 04:09 PM
    Don't care what she is going through. NO PERSON has the right to ENDANGER others ! Pueblo's DA needs to start giving out the proper punishment to offenders - PERIOD.
  • by Concerned Friend on Jul 6, 2011 at 02:50 PM
    None of you know what she might be going through! Don't judge!! Yes she made a stupid decision, but that doesn't mean you have to say such hateful things. You never know what someone is going through until YOU walk a mile in their shoes!!!!
  • by hootie and the suckfish on Jul 6, 2011 at 07:50 AM
    They just had to add the no seatbelt violation as a little cherry on the cake. Good job
  • by DanReeves Location: USA on Jul 6, 2011 at 06:54 AM
    You guys make me laugh. Hateful wise man is a cry baby. @ Duh -- She's not hot, but you know who is? Casey Anthony...
  • by Citizen on Jul 6, 2011 at 05:04 AM
    She's hot? She looks like she's seen better days, to me.
  • by Deb Location: Colorado Springs on Jul 5, 2011 at 07:38 PM
    Those cops are better people than me. I can't say I would risk my life for the likes of her. She put others at risk by getting behind the wheel drunk. I am glad she is the only one that actually was hurt by her STUPID ACTIONS.
  • by Deb Location: Colorado Springs on Jul 5, 2011 at 07:38 PM
  • by Nick on Jul 5, 2011 at 07:14 PM
    @hateful wiseman the moron, do us all a favor and eat a bullet. Some of us actually appreciate the cops dealing with the scum on a daily basis!
  • by R. L. Location: P West Mobile Home Estates (trailer park) on Jul 5, 2011 at 06:46 PM
    Everyone speeds down Purcell. I usually try to drive 45, but some jerk in a raised pickup or a $45k SUV seems always to tailgate me. The Sheriffs really need to go after the tailgaters.
  • by Duh on Jul 5, 2011 at 06:30 PM
    Let her go, she is hot. As for the "wise man", you are an idiot.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 125048999 - kktv.com/a?a=125048999