Burglar Keeps Targeting Avid Churchgoer

A sweet Easter turned sour for an elderly woman who came home from church to find her TV missing.

But this isn’t the first time this has happened Phyllis Martinez of Pueblo. She tells 11 News this is the third time her TV was stolen from her house while she was worshipping.

Monday Phyllis Martinez was setting up an old TV after her $200 flat screen was stolen.

“She (her daughter) says mom look, where's your TV? I said well somebody get it, when we left,” said Phyllis Martinez.

The theft happened while Martinez was at an Easter Sunday service. The 86-year-old is an avid churchgoer.

“I have to go to church I've been going all my life,” said Martinez.

But now the born and raised Catholic is rethinking the weekly tradition.

“ I'm afraid, I say I shouldn't even go to church, stay home,” said Martinez.

That’s because she keeps coming home from worship to find her house burglarized. This is the third time in as many years a television was stolen while she was at church.

“They are watching and waiting for me to leave the house,” said Martinez.

The first flat screen cost $1,000 and was given to her for Mother’s Day. After that was stolen, her elderly roommate bought a $500 flat screen. Last year that was also taken. Her roommate Larry then bought a $200 flat screen that is now missing.

Now Martinez and her roommate may not buy a new TV, in fear it might get stolen again.

The elderly woman tells 11 News she got a ride to church on Sunday and purposely left her car in the driveway to make it look like she was home. But that didn’t stop the crooks.

She says she thinks they broke into her house between 7:45 a.m. and 8:15 a.m. That’s just a 30 minute window between when she left for church and her daughter came over to her house.

Because she knew her daughter was nearby, Martinez left the front door unlocked. Her daughter discovered the missing TV and told police that the back door was wide open.

Martinez says the other two burglaries the thieves actually broke glass to get inside.

At this point police do not have any suspects.

Police want to remind you that the best way to recover your stolen stuff is by having a serial number handy for your electronics and then giving it to police. This will not only help them recover your property but could help lead them to an arrest by tracking the item through pawn shops.

Police also encourage people to always lock their doors when they leave. And ask neighbors to always keep a watchful eye, especially now that burglaries are happening more and more during daylight.

If you have any information about this theft, call Pueblo Crime Stoppers at 542-7867.

• by Solution on Apr 10, 2012 at 12:13 AM
    I'll sit in her house while she's not there and if anyone breaks in I'll deal with them, problem solved. Amen!
      by Citizen K on Apr 10, 2012 at 05:12 AM in reply to Solution
      Yup, I'll sit right next to you too. Put enough lead through them to make them look like Swiss Cheese, I bet their "associates" will re-think their life choices too.
        by Solution on Apr 10, 2012 at 03:44 PM in reply to Citizen K
        Thanks Citizen K --- I have no doubt if we both sat there and the assailant(s) and their associates showed up none of them would have the capacity to re-think anything!
  • by R on Apr 9, 2012 at 09:46 PM
    Granny needs a Rottweiler!
  • by Becky Location: Colorado Springs on Apr 9, 2012 at 08:15 PM
    Who do I contact so I can donate a TV to this lovely woman?
      by Phyliss on Apr 10, 2012 at 03:16 PM in reply to Becky
      Thank you that would be a big help! God will bless you for your efforts. Contact Phyliss at 719 564-5492
  • by Yep on Apr 9, 2012 at 08:15 PM
    Stop going to church, a waste of time anyway, and lock your front door, problem solved...
      by Anonymous on Apr 10, 2012 at 08:18 AM in reply to Yep
      Get a life! Problem solved for you to YEP
        by Anonymous on Apr 10, 2012 at 08:35 AM in reply to
        Good one...
      by Atheist on Apr 10, 2012 at 09:03 AM in reply to Yep
      You got that right
  • by Rich Location: Springs on Apr 9, 2012 at 06:59 PM
    Time to invest in ADT Grandma. Some people have no shame. Stealing from an ol' lady.
  • by SilentSeaWolf Location: Pueblo, CO on Apr 9, 2012 at 06:54 PM
    Hear Hear Mr. Lark . . . I concur! Stealing from anyone is really too much.
  • by Lark on Apr 9, 2012 at 06:28 PM
    What a bunch of scum; stealing from an 86 yr old lady and her elderly friends. Really makes me disgusted with people. I sincerely hope that they get what's coming to them.
      by Anonymous on Apr 10, 2012 at 10:51 AM in reply to Lark
      payday someday
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 146748385 - kktv.com/a?a=146748385