Armed Burglars Break Into Home For Pain Pills

By: Kendra Potter Email
By: Kendra Potter Email

With a pit bull guarding the house and new locks on the door, Melody Nequette and her 9-year-old son John are trying to forget about the scariest moment of their lives.

"The way the dog was barking and the way they were beating on the door, I knew something was wrong, said Melody Nequette.

She says two guys in ski masks pounded on the door, and then broke it open.

"And now anytime anybody even knocks at the door I go run and hide. And I didn't think it would affect me that bad,” said Nequette.

Nequette stayed on the phone with her teenage daughter, and stood in between the burglars and her son.

But it wasn't long before she realized the burglars knew exactly what they came for.

"They said 'give us your pills you stupid woman.' And they were cussing at me and yelling at me,” said Nequette.

That's when Nequette says she recognized them as neighborhood teens who've asked for pain pills before. Once they came to the house and offered her money for her pills. Another time they saw her picking up her medication at the pharmacy and begged her for the pills.

But this time they used force. Both were armed with guns.

“When they pulled out the big gun and pointed it towards my head, I just said 'here's the purse. Everything is in the purse,'” said Nequette.

Nequette lost keepsakes, identification, and all her money, more than $1,000 worth. She had just pulled all her money out of the bank to make payments.

“I was gonna pay all my bills and now I have nothing,” said Nequette.

But the pills were not in her purse.

"That was my goal. I wasn't going to give them what they came for. I wasn't going to give them what they wanted,” said Nequette.

She says teenagers gave police an alibi and were not arrested. Now she's begging police to continue their investigation, so they don’t do come back, or do this to someone else.

If you have any information call Pueblo Crime Stoppers at 542-7867.

• by Sorry on Jan 14, 2012 at 06:34 PM
    I find it hard to believe that this person offered up her $1k in cash vs giving her meds. I do not know her financial situation, however, i would bet she is on Medicaid and government assistance and could have her meds replaced easier than cash. Is this just a scam to beg for the public to fundraiser on her behalf? House looked filthy, maybe it's time to clean?
  • by Common Sense Location: Pueblo on Jan 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    These comments have left me completely dissatisfied in how easy it is to cast judgement without knowing the complete situation. I say shame on all of you. Does it help if I give you insight knowing the family? Yes, the mother is disabled, so she lives in a rougher area. This will of course make it easier to be victimized by neighborhood kids who watch your every move and can figure out you are more than likely taking medications. In addition to this, those making comments must not be a parent. If a gun is pulled on you with a 9 year old child behind you, logic will not be clear enough to make the best decisions. As for a better guard dog solution, please remember that the 9 year old child doesn't need a vicious dog in his home. Unfortunately, she has indeed rewarded these kids, and the law isn't able to apprehend them at this time. Let's pray that they aren't braver next time and watch your every move in order to discover your weakness. Please refrain from judging others until you more fully understand the circumstances.
      by @common sense on Jan 14, 2012 at 05:02 PM in reply to Common Sense
      It doesn't take much more then common sense for ordinary citizens to put 1 1 together here. It is not casting judgment. It's knowing that 1 1 =2. With the information provided, it is incredibly inconsistent to actually believe that a crime was committed here. At least not the one in the story. I also live in a bad part of town (SE Springs) and my neighbors don't know what is in my medicine bottles, don't know when I go to the pharmacy, and certainly don't come breaking in for pain pills. I have children also, and have also been through a burglary. If someone is breaking into your home you don't just stand there, you go and hide. You call 911. You fight back. You protect yourself. You don't hand them your purse with all of your identity and cash.
  • by cpl on Jan 13, 2012 at 04:10 PM
    @annoyed. Blah, blah, blah. You know nothing about me. How about I say she is irresponsible with medications? Obviously she was if teenage kids are aware of her medications protected by Hippa or she left medication unsecure. Oh wait, that's classified by definition as abuse. Oh, see how I did that? Pill abuser. Stop defending the crazy pill lady. I would love to see an update on this story. She sounds like a drug dealer with no experience to me. Lol
  • by cpl on Jan 13, 2012 at 03:32 PM
    Dear irritated at idiots,I wish you were my insurance adjuster, lawyer and boss. Your gulibility is unprecedented. Sharon is right on, and the initial comments I left are protected under free speech, common sence, and get a life. You keep saying we should have sympathy for this pill abuser. Maybe you let thugs use your bathroom and have a pharmacist like a short order cook. Percocet up!! Re read the story, think about what was said, how it developed and please give me one solid clue from this story that will lead me to believe that she is not lying other than because she said so. She sold pills, then they realized they could take them. Those kids are probably suprised she had the kahunas to call the cops. I personally believe kktv did a great job reporting this because it presented the facts known and let's the reader decide for his or herself without a hidden agenda. This is true journalism and entertaining as well. You are mad because intellectual ppl share thoughts while you spew hate for everyone not sympathizing for a lady. The comment that said exercise and fix the front porch was hillarious.
      by annoyed on Jan 13, 2012 at 03:51 PM in reply to cpl
      pill abuser? Do you have facts to back this up? you know nothing of the hardships this lady has had in her life, and the daily struggles she still has. I am all for free speech when it is based on facts, not hurtful opinions.
  • by Irritated at idiots on Jan 13, 2012 at 02:26 PM
    Sharon, I have plenty of common sense. Mine tells me that when people go through this, other peoples mean and nasty comments just hurt them more. I do know nobody (human)is perfect. But you must not be human to not consider peoples feelings at a time like this.
  • by Irritated at idiots on Jan 13, 2012 at 02:09 PM
    Sharon, you rule, your right, your perfect and so not worth the waste of my time anymore. Pray that your perfection keeps you safe.
      by sharon on Jan 13, 2012 at 02:16 PM in reply to Irritated at idiots
      No "irritated", it has nothing to do with perfection like I said, it's common sense..No one is perfect, you should know this
  • by Lorelei on Jan 13, 2012 at 01:22 PM
    instead of popping pain killers, both she and her son could get some exercise and fix the front porch!
  • by Anonymous on Jan 13, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    You're on the wrong site, this isn't the Gazette, it's KKTV! DUH!
  • by Doesn't make sense on Jan 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    Something does not sound right with this story. I am a pain management paitnent, and have been burglarized and my pain pills stolen amongst other valuables (tv, xbox, tattoo equip) etc. I called the police, filed a report, the jerkoff is in prison, but all I had to do was go back to the doctor and take them the police report and they refilled me my pills. I sure didn't hand them my purse and personal identification including cash. Sounds like she was selling her pills (maybe about $1,000 worth) and got burned...so now she is saying it is theft.
  • by sharon on Jan 13, 2012 at 09:55 AM
    First off...do not tell your neighbors or friends, or the "neighborhood thugs"that you have a stash of pain pills!!!!!!!! No one needs to know all of your personal info...That IS stupid!
      by annoyed on Jan 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM in reply to sharon
      Have a stash??? Really? You are an idiot. She obviously has a medical condition that requires medication. Whether or not she told any of her neighbors she was on pain medication does NOT give them the right to break in and terrorize her. And she identifies them to the kestone cops masquerading as police and do they arrest them? NO!!! why? because they have an alibi? Really? Since when is it up to the police to determine guilt or innocence? They had a positive ID, they should make the arrest and let the courts decide guilty or not. But no one in this discussion seems to want justice for the VICTIM.
        by sharon on Jan 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM in reply to annoyed
        Sure, she has a medical condition, as do most people, fool.. I don't know my neighbors' medications. People should use a little more common sense in this day and age.. The police obviously saw something suspicious with her story and did not make an arrest..Open your eyes and shut your mouth
          by Anonymous on Jan 13, 2012 at 12:40 PM in reply to sharon
          Wow, Sharon, i'm glad you have all the facts. How come you aren't doing the reporting? You know, perfection like yours should be shared!! And you tell others to shut their mouths. Wow, who made you so much better?
      by Irritated at idiots on Jan 13, 2012 at 12:43 PM in reply to sharon
      Sharon, I didn't see where she told friends neighbors and thugs about what she has or does. Are you reading a more detailed story or just being a jerk to be a jerk?
        by Sharon on Jan 13, 2012 at 01:11 PM in reply to Irritated at idiots
        How would anyone know she had pain pills!!!!..Do people know what's in your medicine cabinet??? Give me a break and wake the hell up...She is up to something.. You two must be related...
          by Irritated at idiots on Jan 13, 2012 at 01:30 PM in reply to Sharon
          Unfortunately people probably do know whats in your medicine cabinet if it isn't locked and it sits in your bathroom and visitors use your bathroom. you should "wake the hell up" to the fact that you really are not perfect no matter what you try to tell yourself. I think you are up to something or have something to hide, or too much time on your hands. You sure enjoy bashing someone you know nothing about.In my experience the "bashers" usually have uglier skeletons in their closets. Common sense and decency tell me to have compassion for victims of crime, not to bash them or victimize them further with lame comments. I'm just happy not to be related to you!!
          by sharon on Jan 13, 2012 at 01:46 PM in reply to Sharon
          yes, I'm sure she lets neighborhood thugs into her house to use her bathroom, and I'm sure the pharmacist yells out "here's your oxycontin!! Here's your percoset!, here's your morphine!! Your ignorance is unprecedented....
          by Irritated at idiots on Jan 13, 2012 at 01:53 PM in reply to Sharon
          You are the reason for my sign on name. My ignorance is due to having a heart and compassion for people who have been victimized. i guess if that makes me ignorant, I would rather be ignorant that perfect like you. Perfection must take a lot of work, you should concentrate more on that than your mean spirited comments. You and your relatives must also have a relative named Satan huh? Only the devil and his minions would choose cruelty to respond to a situation like this. I'm so glad you have it all figured out. you should teach or be a counselor or put your perfection to good use on all the poor people have have been victimized and traumatized. you have never had anything bad happen to you right? Your immune? I will pray for your sad soul, which is a lot more than you ever do for anybody apparently. Good luck in your sad little perfect world. I'd hate to be you!
          by sharon on Jan 13, 2012 at 02:01 PM in reply to Sharon
          Your sign in name should be "irritated at myself"...You can bash me all you want, bring Jesus and Satan into this, as if to elevate yourself to some higher level..Please...I keep my personal information to myself, wouldn't let everybody know my "pain medications" if I were on them, and surely would have reported the initial harassment to the police. Let her incident be a lesson for many in this day and age, it has nothing to do with anything but good old fashioned ignorance, which by the way, you have plenty of........
          by jus sayin' on Jan 13, 2012 at 02:07 PM in reply to Sharon
          Gonna have to agree with sharon, this looks suscpicious
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137244813 - kktv.com/a?a=137244813