It's hiding underneath foundations, in doors and window frames and other places. In some buildings, it's in plain sight.
It's mold, and it's rampant in houses flooded by Superstorm Sandy three months ago. It can cause coughing, wheezing and other respiratory problems in people who are allergic.
The fungus is growing in homes that didn't dry out. Other people tried to get rid of the mold, but the treatment didn't work.
That means people who waited to do repairs or couldn't get to their house for weeks are having mold problems.
Getting rid of mold can cost as much as $15,000. Federal emergency aid doesn't cover mold removal.
Officials in New York announced a $15 million program that will remove mold from at least 2,000 homes.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.