The U.S.-led military command in Afghanistan has decided it will no longer publish figures on Taliban attacks, a week after acknowledging that it had incorrectly reported a 7 percent decline in such attacks last year.
A spokesman for the international coalition, Jamie Graybeal, said Tuesday that attacks observed by coalition forces will still be recorded, but the overall number will not be tallied or published online. Graybeal said the coalition's figures will become increasingly inaccurate because Afghans are conducting most combat operations.
Last week The Associated Press revealed that the coalition had determined that its original report of a 7 percent decline was wrong and that there actually was no decline at all for 2012. It blamed a clerical error.
Graybeal said the corrected 2012 figures will not be published.
Copyright 2015 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.