The commander of an Air Force base in southern Arizona says no gunman or weapons were found in response to unconfirmed reports of a gunman.
Col. John Cherrie, commander Davis-Monthan Air Force Base on the outskirts of Tucson, says officials were satisfied that the base was safe again after an extensive search at the base.
Cherrie held a two-minute news conference to discuss the five-hour lockdown of the base on Friday. He didn't answer any questions by reporters.
A military official had said earlier that a man with a gun was holed up in a building at the base.
The lockdown at the sprawling facility was prompted by reports of someone with something that looked like a weapon.
The reports prompted a frenzy of activity at the base and in the news media amid unsubstantiated reports that someone had been shot.
Copyright 2015 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.