Soldiers Credit Army Training For Quick Response In Accident

11 News is learning more about a terrible crash that seriously hurt three girls in Colorado Springs. Two Fort Carson soldiers told 11 News their quick response was simply an extension of their service. They also say the Army has prepared them to act when the unexpected happens.

The scene was shocking on Highway 115 Wednesday morning after police say Mike Bobian ran a stop sign, resulting in the crash. Two cars were twisted. Three children were thrown from one of them.

"The accident actually took place right outside my residence," said PFC Logan Cameron.

Cameron was on his way to a day of work at Fort Carson when he discovered the accident. The Army medic had his first response kit with him.

"As a force of habit, I do keep it in my vehicle and right now, I'm really glad I did," Cameron said.

As he bandaged wounds, SSG Shane Corley talked to first responders on the phone.

"You see something that catastrophic, you want to make sure everybody's okay and not just drive by," Corley said.

Reginald Green, a retired soldier, was shaken when he hit Bobian's car.

He felt a little better when he saw the men wearing the Army uniform.

"You could not have asked for a better response time, they just jumped into action," Green said.

11 News talked to family members of the injured girls who say they want to thank Cameron and Corley for acting so quickly. The response seemed perfectly natural to the two soldiers, but meant the world to those who needed it the most. The girls’ family told 11 News without their help, the girls may have died

"The more other people started impressing on me exactly what I did and the impact it's had on the community--it's a good feeling," Cameron said.

Family members also reported one of the girls had surgery at a Denver hospital Wednesday night. She has a broken neck and severe burns.

Bobian was given a variety of traffic citations including careless driving involving injury. Police say alcohol was not a factor.

Lake Avenue was closed for several hours Wednesday morning while investigators were on scene.

• by tax payer Location: colorado on Dec 15, 2011 at 01:49 PM
    Just to make it clear. This vehicle was driven without permission, it doesn't belong to the driver and was supposed to be in storage. It was not insured by the owner or the driver and all the people involved in the accident that were in the car. Medicaide and welfare recipients. So the fact of the matter is we, the tax payers are paying for all of this. Big bucks, ICU, repeated surgeries etc. I think they should all be found negligent by not wearing seat belts and have to payback the medicaid system in someway for the rest of their lives. It's all free for all of them. They don't care about how much this costs or who is paying it.
  • by @LocalMD on Nov 17, 2011 at 04:24 PM
    The other difference is that you could have been sued but no one would dare think of suing our heroes. You know, they are keeping us free and all. I'd still like to know how other free countries do it without the military-industrial complex.
  • by Local MD Location: COS on Nov 17, 2011 at 02:19 PM
    I am a local doctor in Colorado Springs and have been here for many years watching the decline. Two years ago, I stopped for a motorcycle accident and provided actual medical/trauma care to keep someone alive until the EMTs arrived to take over. I am not in the military (thank GOD) and was not wearing camoflague. I am very satisfied with the care I provided, and was never called a HERO by the media or anyone involved. It was just part of my job. Why then are soldiers who happen to stop and grab a medical bag (unclear if they ever provided adequate emergency trauma care or even used the bag) suddenly become such media heroes? It is because the only people still in COS are active or ex/retired military who feel that everything they do is so much better than what everybody else does! That is also exactly why COS has gone to H@#L and can never recover as anything but a military H@#LHOLE.
  • by AJ Location: COS on Nov 17, 2011 at 09:29 AM
    There's a reason for signing up at oathkeepers. Do not assume that your heroes will always be on your side. martial law is coming and not for the reasons that are being sold to you.
  • by a_local Location: very near 115 on Nov 17, 2011 at 08:29 AM
    Many of us don't know or forget that the US Military is the world's biggest school. Medics, pilots, technicians, and on and on are in the majority ex-military. Kudos to the soldiers for doing what they were trained to do, and to KKTV for positive news reporting. This does not bleed, but it does lead. (Pun intended).
  • by JM_Springs on Nov 17, 2011 at 08:00 AM
    Whether they were military or not, EVERYONE who stopped to help should be thanked, not just these two soldiers. I'm glad they were there, but to ignore the rest of the people who were instrumental in taking care of the injured is disrespectful.
  • by Amother Location: CSC on Nov 17, 2011 at 07:44 AM
    These men aren't the ones who see themselves as hero's. However,I'm sure the family sure will.
  • by ER on Nov 17, 2011 at 07:10 AM
    The definition of hero sure isn't what it used to be.
  • by A Proud Resident on Nov 17, 2011 at 05:59 AM
    I don't know anyone involved in this horrible accident, but I just had to take the time to thank these Soldiers! Not only for stopping to help this family, but also to thank you for my Freedom! May God bless you and yours!
  • by monica on Nov 17, 2011 at 04:52 AM
    I just want to thank ALL of those who helped with this accident the soldiers were there but lets not forget all of the other people who stopped to help. THANK YOU and the media needs to acknoweledge them tooo !!!!!!!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134012728 - kktv.com/a?a=134012728