WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Pentagon will take a closer look at the Dover military mortuary where the Air Force says workers in 2009 twice lost track of body parts of U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan.
Defense Secretary Leon Panetta on Tuesday directed a special panel of the Defense Health Board to review operations at Dover and to pass judgment on the adequacy of changes made there since allegations arose last year of multiple cases of mishandled remains at the mortuary.
The Air Force revealed on Tuesday that three mortuary supervisors had been punished -- but no one fired -- for what officials called "gross mismanagement" at the Delaware facility.
An independent federal investigative agency, the Office of Special Counsel, said the Air Force had fallen short on accepting responsibility for the mistakes.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus