Michelle Obama, Jill Biden Visit Colorado Springs

By: AP/KKTV
By: AP/KKTV

First lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden, wife of Vice President Joe Biden, were at Fountain-Fort Carson High School Thursday morning to showcase communities, businesses and nonprofits that support military families.

The Fountain-Fort Carson High School event is part of the National Math and Science Initiative, which is aimed at helping military families. The school will now offer more advanced placement math and science classes. "This is important because in addition to stretching your minds, it's going to make you more competitive for college admissions," said Mrs. Obama.

The first lady told the crowd that she knows that the lives of Colorado students with parents in the military aren't easy. She told hundreds of teens at Fountain-Fort Carson High School, "If you can get through this, you can get through anything."

Students tell 11 News meeting the first lady was an incredible opportunity. "I was just excited to meet her and give her a hug and shake her hand. She's awesome," said student Kaylina Droke.

The motorcade for the first lady and Biden made its way down the interstate shortly after 9 a.m. For any drivers in the area who saw the many police cars driving at that time, or see the same sight later in the day, the police cars were just there for the motorcade.

Security was very tight at the school. Officials brought in several metal detectors, and Colorado Springs Police had K-9 units with them.

Obama and Biden, wife of the vice president, visited families at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina and in San Antonio before heading to Denver and Coors Field.

At Coors Field, Jessica Simpson performed for military families and the Colorado Rockies' game against the Mets at Citi Field in New York was shown on the jumbo TV screen. The Air Force Academy baseball team also practiced with military children.

• by SERIOUSLY on Apr 20, 2011 at 09:01 AM
    get a life people, find something else to do with your time. senseless arguing about politics doesn't do anything for anybody, instead spend your time trying to solve problems and make a difference
  • by curious Location: cs on Apr 20, 2011 at 07:44 AM
    Did Michelle borrow that blouse from Jill Biden? It seems too tight across the arms and back.
  • by Disgusted on Apr 16, 2011 at 06:33 PM
    I would rather the tax dollars be used for Michelle Obama to come speak to the students at FFCHS then give it to all the people there in Fountain abusing the welfare and housing system! This is the biggest news to happen in Fountain aside from the usual teen pregnancies, drug busts, sex offenders, and soldier beating murderers!
  • by .... on Apr 16, 2011 at 01:08 PM
    Dont worry about me and what i start my sentences with. You all are just jelous honestly, leave it at that.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 16, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    Learn Chinese, not science.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 16, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    Welcome to America, Mary. You have no choice but to hear differing opinions. Thank you, drive through.
  • by David Location: Colorado Springs on Apr 16, 2011 at 06:52 AM
    Actually, one may begin sentence with "and", or any other conjunction for that matter. But Mary is correct. "Not really" is not only a sentence fragment, but it also fails to convey who I was talking to, as well as the subject.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 15, 2011 at 07:22 PM
    A proper sentence does not start with and!
  • by Mary on Apr 15, 2011 at 02:49 PM
    Jeff, what in the world ARE you talking about? Read my post again and you will see that I DID refer to both issues and they are BOTH STILL a problem for me! My position hasn’t changed and it won't...no matter how many times you disagree with me! The White House can provide you with an itemized statement and if you don't know the obvious, then you are oblivious....TAX PAYERS PAY ALL THE BILLS! This event HAS affected me personally because it has frustrated, disappointed and angered people I care dearly about in this community! Your statement of, "I think that we all most likely pay an overwhelming amount for travel and accommodations for the First Family of all Presidents, but what are we to do?" REALLY bothers me! What an irresponsible way of thinking! It’s that train of thought that got us in this financial disaster. If this is your best solution then you obviously don’t care about any of this so why are you posting and complaining about MY opinion? It’s OK to disagree, REALLY, it is! Speaking on open forums like this is a WONDERFUL way to create open dialogue between people (even when they disagree) It opens minds, and even hearts. That’s enough for me, knowing I brought some insight and a different opinion to a "Cinderella" story that just doesn’t ring true for me and obviously many others.....I don’t have any desire to run for office but I am a very active voter. If I did run it looks like I would have plenty of support from like minded people! I can’t AFFORD to waste any more time explaining myself to you…time is money AND WE HAVE NONE! (I took the time to listen to your two cents, however, I won’t be holding my breath or waiting around for your reply because the point of this forum is to share opinions. I couldn’t care less if you agree with mine or not! Don’t be offended! I’m just sharing MY two cents, just like you! That what forums are for!
  • by Mr X Location: se spgs on Apr 15, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    by the way KKTV, when this story ends, please send a copy of our comments to those 2 thugs! ty
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119536109 - kktv.com/a?a=119536109