Law Seeks To Make Civilian Employment Easier For Vets

For many returning servicemen and women, the return to civilian life can be jarring, particularly for those who took on great responsibility while deployed--only to fall back to the bottom of the totem pole once they're back home.

A new law in Colorado, which came into effect with the new year, is designed to make the transition to civilian workforce a little easier for members of the military.

The law allows veterans to apply their military training and experience towards licensing and requirements for various professional licenses issued by the state for civilian professions. For example, veterans can now use their training from the armed forces to apply for licensing to be a real estate or insurance agent.

In the past, state licensing requirements disregarded military training and experience.

Click here for a list of occupations that require licensing in the state of Colorado.

For a list of all other laws now in effect in 2012, click on Find It. The laws will be found under the January 2 entry: New Colorado State Laws 2012. A short summary of each is included.

• by JimS Location: North Carolina on Jan 5, 2012 at 09:26 AM
    No Revenues = No Sacrifice = No Support = DeJa-Vu all over again!. Now a decade and counting added to the previous decades of under funding the VA, while the peoples reps Still try and lay blame on the Agency, after rubber stamping wars and costs of and those represented cheer on these wars! While the wealthy and other investors garner their booty, still, from both and many have the chutz·pa to call themselves more patriotic{?} then others wrapped in those false flags, using false slogans and various cheap symbols of! USN '67-'71 All Shore GMG3 Vietnam In Country '70-'71
  • by Common Sense Location: C/S on Jan 3, 2012 at 07:55 AM
    LOL! Looks like the same person is posting under different names..."Citizen, disgusted, 2012, Realist...all the same person.
      by Ed on Jan 3, 2012 at 08:32 PM in reply to Common Sense
      No, I think that there are just more than one person who do not buy into the mindless patriotic baloney like many in this town.
        by Common Sense on Jan 4, 2012 at 07:46 AM in reply to Ed
        ED! LOL, or should I say "Citizen".
        by Average I.Q. on Jan 4, 2012 at 07:55 AM in reply to Ed
        So Ed, what your trying to say is that being "patriotic", is both "mindless" and "baloney". I see. You definitely make a good argument, that you are seriously a left wing nut job. I am sure that Hugo Chavez would be very proud of you. Perhaps you should try living abroad for a while. Maybe in one of your beloved socialist utopia's that you wish we would "change" into. Then you might appreciate what you have here in the USA, because of the sacrifices of the Military personnel of our wonderful country!
          by Ed on Jan 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM in reply to Average I.Q.
          I am specifically addressing the mindless patriotism. That's why they called the Patriot Act the Patriot Act. If you criticize it you must be unpatriotic. See how it works? Now, lets attack Iran to keep us free!
  • by Citizen Location: CO on Jan 2, 2012 at 06:39 PM
    I think that the US citizens should decide if you really "took a bullet for us" or if you are fighting for "our freedoms." Not all of us are military recuiters with bonuses for a good sales record and not all of us have to justify a death of a loved one.
  • by GR Location: Colorado Springs on Jan 2, 2012 at 05:35 PM
    Its impossible to make a point to people on this forums who are quick to hate on those of us who signed up to go take a bullet for them if needed so we wouldnt have to fight tht fight in the streets of our country but I'll give it a shot. We arent any more special than emergency workers, cops etc. I do think that the massive reason why our unemployment numbers are so huge is because we are all put in a pile that says that if we spent any time in the combat zone we must be damaged goods especially if you have some sort of service connected issue. Im 33 and have not been able to ever find a job since 2007 when I was discharged because of my combat related injuries. Does anyone here seriously think that at my age I take pride in having to sit and wait for my disability check? If you think so, you must not know what a proud veteran looks like.
      by disgusted on Jan 2, 2012 at 06:25 PM in reply to GR
      I never asked you to go murder innocent people in my name!
        by 2012 on Jan 2, 2012 at 06:32 PM in reply to disgusted
        And if all of these crazy muslims where that intent on destroying America they would have done it by now. But not ONE crazy suicide bomber in the US????? As we were told on 9/11, AlQaida is "very patient and they like to plan huge attacks" which translates to: your own government hasn't decided to blow up anything yet.But I'm sure they will when it's time to herd up Americans and take them to a (very temporary) safe place. Those troops who participate will disappear too. That's the best thing about the demise of habeus corpus. REX 84!!!
  • by NWO on Jan 2, 2012 at 03:03 PM
    New World Order. Everything is designed to implode the USA.
  • by Mayor Ryan on Jan 2, 2012 at 02:17 PM
    I'm moving to a state that doesn't have licensing, and instead the free market can take care of it. I can make a voluntary decision and contract with someone else if I wish, and I will only do so if they prove they are qualified to me, and maybe a private market organization review board might be of interest to me. Wake up people. RP 2012 makes sense.
  • by Realist on Jan 2, 2012 at 01:09 PM
    Sandra- I am a military veteran myself.. I am also a realist and understand the concept of making your own way in life...you need to wall on the shoes of an EMS worker and you may have a different opinion. Btw.. Insults only reflect your lack of education and ability to make a valid point.
      by Anonymous on Jan 2, 2012 at 01:18 PM in reply to Realist
      If you would be a military vet you would never talk that way. I am still not sure why you still talk about EMS works. They have nothing to do with this. Getting 10% off at a restaurant has nothing to do with fairness but with apprechiation that others put their lives in danger because of you. And if you have looked closely, fireman and policeman often get 10% off in restaurants as well.
  • by Realist on Jan 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM
    Once again Jim.. You keep talking about anger towards the military... That's not the case at all. It's about fairness.. Something that we apparently agree on. Fairness for our police,fireman and school teachers. When was the last time you have ever heard about someone getting any preferential treatment or a discount for anyone other than military... That's the point I am trying to make. You can talk about "moving a mountain" together but that will never change a thing.
      by Sandra on Jan 2, 2012 at 01:00 PM in reply to Realist
      If you would be all about fairness than military vets unemployment would equal non military. Than everyone would sacrifice for this country not just a few. If America will get attacked tomorrow I am sure you are not one of the few that will stand in the front and fight back. So how is that fair????
  • by Jim Location: CO on Jan 2, 2012 at 12:31 PM
    I was agreeing with the police, fire and ems getting the same treatment as veterans. They no doubt have earn it. My point is with the laws. They have the right idea, but need to be improved apon. Please don't be angry at a veteran because you feel he has it easier than others. The focus should be on the law, and improving it to help others with out hurting others. Write your law makers, and tell them your thoughts and feelings. The news paper post can get people fired up. But to make a change you have to go where the change needs made.
  • by Realist on Jan 2, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    Sandra- are you saying that the EMS workers from 9/11 should get any less special treatment than our military? You can't have it both ways...
      by Anonymous on Jan 2, 2012 at 11:57 AM in reply to Realist
      I am not sure what EMS workers have to do with the article. This is about military vets getting some of their expirence they made during their military time transfered to job expirence. Military veterans do not get hired because they are veterans. Thats why they have a much higher unemployment rate than everyone else. In other words their expirence in the military does not mean as much as someone that worked for 4 years at Burger King. And that is a fact or the unemployment would not differ beween military vets and non veterans.
      by Common Sense on Jan 3, 2012 at 07:52 AM in reply to Realist
      So "realist", you're comparing a working EMS person to an unemployed vet? Makes no sense.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136525613 - kktv.com/a?a=136525613