General: Combat Brigades Could Face Cuts

By: AP
By: AP

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Army's top general says plans to slash Pentagon spending by $450 billion will force the Army to consider cutting combat brigades.

He says that will mean the military won't be able to fight two conventional wars simultaneously -- as it has done for the last decade.

Gen. Raymond Odierno, the Army's chief of staff, says officials are developing plans to cut spending, but are committed to ensuring the force is properly trained, staffed and equipped to defend the nation.

The Pentagon is slated to cut $450 billion over 10 years, but the reductions could be doubled if Congress fails to find $1.5 trillion in savings.

Pentagon leaders have said they will cut the size of the Army by nearly 50,000 soldiers by 2016, trimming the force to about 520,000.

• by Doug Location: Colorado Springs on Oct 10, 2011 at 03:13 PM
    The military is not immune to cost cuts. They must do their part.
  • by Dan Location: CS on Oct 10, 2011 at 02:09 PM
    Anonymous- please feel free to travel to Khandahar Province. My son and his friends will be glad to let you birddog where the enemy is so they can pinpoint their rifle fire.
      by Anonymous on Oct 12, 2011 at 07:59 PM in reply to Dan
      Sorry, but I'd like to see what they are shooting at..just once. Jessica Lynch, you know...
  • by RICO Location: Springs on Oct 10, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    Ask any general from the Romans to now- you must have the ability to place overwhelming boots on the ground, to achieve an objective...
  • by Anonymous on Oct 10, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    That's OK. Everytime I see video of them shooting I never see what they are shooting at. No kills. No prisoners. Besides the drones are puuting the ground troops out of work anyway, at least relatively speaking. Until the next invasion.
  • by elizabeth Location: fremont county colorado on Oct 10, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    I have a niece that had her parental rights taken away and I stepped into adopt my nephew and I passed all the background checks and homeinspections and the welfare will not give me my nephew. Can you help My number is 260-343-9914
  • by Anonymous on Oct 10, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    Who would have thought we would be laying off soldiers...just at a time when we were begging for recruits.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 131466673 - kktv.com/a?a=131466673