Fort Carson Agrees To Restrict Helicopter Flights

By: AP
By: AP

The U.S. Army has agreed to restrict helicopter training flights over southeastern Colorado after residents complained about low-altitude training flights.

A Fort Carson spokesman said Tuesday the helicopters will stay within the boundaries of the Pinon Canyon Maneuver Site.

According to the Pueblo Chieftain, helicopters must maintain higher altitudes outside the designated flying area. Pilots are being required to stay more than a half-mile away from any residential houses or ranches during the training flights.

• by USA! on Apr 27, 2012 at 06:16 PM
    That's the sound of freedom and if our defense dept messes up from time to time and the bad guys do attack us on our land that's ok. It gives us another reason to fight for our freedom. Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to keep the military-industrial complex omelet rolling.
  • by jazzcat on Apr 27, 2012 at 07:18 AM
    If helicopter noises draw complaints, these folks must go batty when a thunderstorm rolls through...
  • by SMH on Apr 27, 2012 at 06:18 AM
    You people knew the bases were there when you moved in & now you're whining? MOVE! And if you were in dire need of a helicopter to save your life, would you still be whining? I can't believe the way people are becoming. SMH
  • by Burbank on Apr 26, 2012 at 04:05 PM
    I've lived near airfields and airports all my life. One can get used to it as with trains. The airports are normally built in the boondocks and developers end up building up right next to it because it's cheaper and the profit margin higher. That's why the nightmare of DIA is in western Kansas. And yes, it is the sound of freedom, as we don't and probably won't have foreign troops killing our people on our own land. And you can continue to make snarky comments about our government without retribution. If that's too far a stretch for a mind wishing for peace at all costs, google 'stasi' and get back to us.
  • by @Army on Apr 26, 2012 at 02:59 PM
    Im with you buddy. I get goose bumps and full of pride when the military flies over me. The lower the better. I did 23 years in the military and it never gets old!
  • by @sheep on Apr 26, 2012 at 02:55 PM
    Im sure you did community service with the Salvation Army so you should be an expert.
  • by sheep on Apr 26, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    All you people who genuinely believe that your country is fighting a war because some liberty of yours is under attack are sheep. Follow your herd blindly...
  • by Dan Location: Colorado Springs on Apr 26, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    Guess that Pinon Canyon expansion was needed after all and I guess the people in the area ran out of things to complain about.
  • by Army Location: CS on Apr 26, 2012 at 09:56 AM
    They can come and fly over my house!!! I love the sound of the helicopters!!!I was a helicopter crew chief/mechanic and I miss seeing the helicopters every day!!! I love it when they fly over my house!!!!People need to get a life and quit complaining about everything they see and hear!!!! Remember, they are American soldiers and many of them have fought for your freedom!!!!
  • by BLH Location: COS on Apr 26, 2012 at 09:46 AM
    I agree with Tamz. I'm the daughter and widow of Air Force M/Sgts. All my life I've heard nothing but complaints about the noise of planes/helicopters, from people who moved to areas knowing the base was already there. If you don't like the noise, don't move there. Personally, I get a great thrill hearng the helicopters going overhead. GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 149064825 - kktv.com/a?a=149064825