Deployment Lengths To Be Reduced For Army

By: KKTV Email
By: KKTV Email

Soldiers won't be overseas as long when they deploy.

Secretary of the Army John McHugh announced Friday that unit operational deployments will be reduced from 12 months to nine months. The families of soldiers stationed at Fort Carson told us that the shortened deployments will make a huge difference in their lives.

"It's a lifetime,” Specialist Justine Smolky said. “It really is when you're away from your loved ones for even a day. My daughter is 18 month old. She's my first child. So to be away from her for even an hour is a long time."

Both Smolky and her husband have deployed, and like another soldier 11 News spoke with, they've missed some milestones.

"I missed her birth because I was deployed,” Specialist Marlon Ard said looking at his young daughter. “It’s just one of those things you're going to have to deal with down the line or what not.”

Ard has deployed four times, and like other military families, it affects the kids.

"I raised them the majority of the time,” Zaida Deblasio, who’s married to a retired military member, said. “I've been married to my husband for almost 25 years, and I want to say we've actually lived together for maybe seven years."

The change will be fully implemented by July 2012, and it doesn't apply to high demand and low density units as well as individual deployers.

Soldiers won’t get two-week rest periods while serving in combat zones because of the reduced time.

• by Anonymous Location: Pueblo on Aug 10, 2011 at 02:00 PM
    Hey I am a army fiance to a soldier at ft carson. i am glad that this is happening but i still think the soldiers need the two week period. my cousin was a marine and he got to come back for two weeks. also jody just because the soldiers are gone doesnt mean that the army wives will give in to ya. i mean these are men and women fighting for your life and freedom to be sick and a disgrace
  • by Anonymous on Aug 6, 2011 at 08:14 PM
    Complain about the military but it doesn't stop you from signing up does it? Oh yeah, you are doing it for me. I forgot. Gee, thanks.
  • by mtnwmn on Aug 6, 2011 at 06:16 PM
    My guess is, they're gonna shorten the tour to nine months and eliminate mid-tour leave...sneaky b*@s!"$#@
  • by Some Dude Location: Security on Aug 6, 2011 at 02:33 PM
    HAHA @ Jody, I'm in the same boat, 9 months is not enough time to milk the army wives
  • by Carol Location: Security on Aug 5, 2011 at 03:49 PM
    My husband has done 4 tours in Iraq. His 1st one was 15 months the rest have been 12. I am hoping he wont get deployed at all but if he does at least it wont be a whole year. God bless our troops
  • by Guest on Aug 5, 2011 at 02:56 PM
    Seriously Jody? Leave it up to someone like you to turn a good situation into something nasty and about you, you are so negative and childish
  • by Jody on Aug 5, 2011 at 01:12 PM
    That schedule is not giving me a lot of time with the Army wives.
  • by 1929 on Aug 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    The all-volunteer force is becoming the anything-for-a-job force. Better make it more appealing for the desperate.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 126848308 - kktv.com/a?a=126848308