A federal jury in New Jersey has found five Muslim immigrants guilty of conspiring to kill U.S. soldiers at Fort Dix in a case the government said demonstrated its post-Sept. 11 determination to stop terrorist attacks in the planning stages.
The defendants were acquitted of attempted murder charges but face life in prison for conspiring to kill military personnel.
The federal jury spent about 38 hours deliberating over the past six days.
After the men's arrest in 2007, prosecutors said an attack had been imminent, underscoring the dangers of terrorist plots hatched on U.S. soil.
Defense lawyers maintain the alleged plot was all talk. They said the men weren't seriously planning anything and that they were goaded by two paid FBI informants.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus