Family Mourns Woman Killed in Wrong-Way Crash on I-25

By: Karen Morfitt Email
By: Karen Morfitt Email

A Colorado Springs family is mourning the loss of a daughter, a woman who also leaves behind a young daughter.

Lilly Duncan, 31, was killed last weekend in a wrong way crash on Interstate 25 and police say the driver who hit her was drunk.

Now her mother Diana Smith is telling her daughter’s story.

"I got the news that my daughter was killed in Denver by a driver going the wrong way on the interstate, it’s just like how can that happen,” Smith said.

Lilly Duncan was killed on May 14. Police say 26-year-old Victoria Barry was driving south bound in the northbound lanes of I-25 near downtown Denver.

Diana says because of the actions of one person her family has been torn apart, and Lilly's 12-year-old daughter Dyrah will grow up without a mother.

"She's not going to be there when she gets married, or has a baby,” Smith says.

Dyrah is no stranger to tragedy. Her father was killed when she was only 9 years old and still with everything she has had to endure she’s thinking about others.

"Even though the girl did a wrong thing that doesn’t make her mean," she said.

Victoria Barry, the accused drunk driver, was injured in the accident. She was released from the hospital on Friday and arrested for vehicular homicide, reckless driving and driving under the influence. Formal charges are expected to be issued this week.

Lilly Duncan’s funeral is set for Monday afternoon in Colorado Springs.

• by All or nothing Location: Denver on Aug 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    If you are going to make someone else accountable for the drunk driving besides the driver you better go all the way. Blow into a tube required to start the car. Making the bar, party host or any other list of associate people all or partially responsible just costs us all money except for lawyers that will exploit the opportunities. The government won't let us be responsible for choosing to not-pollute the air with our cars (emissions testing?) but that is important to the govt more than people's lives.
  • by Diana, Lilly's mom Location: Colorado Springs on Jun 7, 2011 at 08:07 AM
    We cannot bring back my beautiful daughter. I miss her so much but Dyrah will never have her mommy anymore. That is the most sad part for me. Lilly and Dyrah were so devoted and dedicated to each other. It is truly sad. Dyrah had to learn about embalming and cremation. Why? This was preventable. There is only one thing we can do and that is to try to help the drivers that drink and want to drive. Think before you Drink and Drive. We can help them! We can lessen DD fatalities in Colorado.
  • by Scotty Dye on Jun 6, 2011 at 10:48 PM
    What nobody is going to say about this i will... Lilly is my first cousin... She had run over an older gentleman in '01... She wasn't drunk or intoxicated... He lived a full life and later died peacefully from old age in addition to the complications of being hit what his wife stated... I was at her house that day and remember holding Lilly in my arms that day to comfort her.... God gives and takes... It saddens me that she is gone... Her lil girl has a great family to take care of her... My heart goes out to my auntie diana, ara her older sis, and to dyrah
  • by Shelly Location: SC on Jun 2, 2011 at 05:46 PM
    This is a tragedy and could have been prevented! This angers me to no end. This was a senseless act, and an selfish act. Where was the people who let Barry drive?? She doesn't deserve to be called by her first name! She TOOK A LIFE! The people/bar should be brought up on charges, because really, they didn't stop her from getting behind the wheel. Really people, we haven't learned from others mistakes? True sadness indeed! To think about what Lilly went through in the last 5 seconds of her life is unthinkable and painful. She is and always will be very special to all those who knew and loved her. Lilly will live on through her beautiful daughter. Let justice prevail! God Bless you Lilly! You are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • by Anonymous on May 26, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    My boyfriend and I were behind the wreck when it happened. I have not been able to sleep a night since. I am so sorry to the family and especially to her daughter.
  • by Michelle on May 24, 2011 at 11:13 AM
    There has been a fund set up for her daughter Dyrah. It is the Lilly Duncan Memorial Fund @ ENT Federal Credit Union. 719.574.1100. Thank you for everyone's support and prayers for Lilly's daughter and family! God Bless!
  • by SM Location: Denver on May 23, 2011 at 07:42 PM
    This is the saddest thing and a reminder to appreciate everyone you love in your life. Her daughter is a bright and shining star. I know her mother will be watching over her.
  • by Jeannie Garcia Location: Guymon, Ok. on May 23, 2011 at 07:18 PM
    Im so sorry for your loss, she was a beautiful lady... My prayers are with her baby-girl and her family. So sad that people are so careless ... God bless you.
  • by Anonymous on May 23, 2011 at 02:02 PM
    could a fund be set up for this precious child?
  • by Jenn Location: CO Springs on May 23, 2011 at 09:51 AM
    I really feel bad for that little girl...losing both of her parents at such a young age!!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 122430674 - kktv.com/a?a=122430674