Teen Drivers Caught On Camera Distracted And Texting

11 News has video of teens caught behind the wheel, texting and talking on their phones. A new AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety study reveals that girls are twice as likely to be distracted while driving.

The teens in these videos knew that there were cameras in the car while they were driving, but that didn't stop them from being distracted.

In the first video, a teen is texting with her mom in the car while she's at a stoplight. It turns green, but she continues texting.

“Don’t text please. Sorry,” that’s the exchange heard between the mom and girl in the video.

We showed this video to parents, young drivers, and soon to be drivers in Colorado Springs.

"I think she should stop texting before she dies," soon-to-be driver Riley Deryk said.

"Not only was she putting herself in jeopardy, she was putting mom's life in jeopardy, that's not ok, as well as everyone else and her- ya, (pointing at son) not going to happen," mom of young drivers Lisa Gilbert said.

In the second video, a young man is talking on his phone and is forced to stop abruptly for a school bus. AAA said through this study, they've learned that teenage girls are twice as likely to reach for their phones.

AAA said the data for this report came from an analysis of video clips collected as part of a three-phase naturalistic study of 50 North Carolina families with novice teen drivers.

The first study looked at how parents supervise their teens during the learner’s stage of GDL, and the second examined how teen behaviors and driving conditions shift during the transition to unsupervised driving.

"It's not ok to text and drive it's not ok to talk on your phone and just making sure you're aware of everything that's going on around you and that you can be a safe driver," teen driver Corbyn Gilbert said.

The study also yielded that many of the distracting behaviors – including use of electronic devices – were more prevalent among the older teens in the study group, suggesting rapid changes in these behaviors as teens get more comfortable behind the wheel.

Other common distractions included reaching for an object, changing the radio station or other settings, or even eating and drinking.

A helpful hint for both teen and adult drivers to stay safer on the road- remove temptation.

So maybe keep your phone in the glove box or even better- the trunk- to help break the habit of grabbing your phone.

According to AAA 1 in 4 teens will get into a crash during their first year of driving. For more ways on how to keep your teens safe- just click on the link below, or the “Find it” tab on the top left of the KKTV.COM homepage.

• by Doug on Apr 6, 2012 at 05:43 AM
    This will continue until our legislators enact laws that have some bite and adopt zero tolerance to this the same as drunk driving. I don't understand how or why this is treated differently than drunk driving as it produces the same tragic results.
  • by psst on Apr 5, 2012 at 09:04 PM
    Hypocritical adults, why don't you clean your own backyard with the texting while driving. Do you honestly believe that teens will not text and drive if they continually see adults do it?? Wake up!!
  • by Anonymous on Apr 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM
    I have no idea why teens are getting cell phones anyway! Sorry, but I lived without a cell phone when I was a teen and made it through just fine, it may have been the 90's, but too bad, so sad!! Cell phones just get kids in trouble anyway!!
  • by jennie Location: colorado springs on Apr 5, 2012 at 10:17 AM
    I have to say its not just the teens out there texting and talking while driving... the majority of the population is doing it! As pointed out earlierthe cops as well or construction worker (I bet) we all need to set a good example not only for teens but the community! Lets either shut the phones off while driving or lock them in the trunk till we are out of the car... lets help save some lives!!!
  • by anonymous Location: c/s on Apr 5, 2012 at 08:49 AM
    @ Dean I,m with you. Collecting could be quite benificail. Could pay off a lot of bills and hopefully there insurances will be a hefty premium to pay if they even bother to have insurance. It gets pretty scary out there. They,ve got strong middle fingers (think it comes from all that texting) and no common sense. Can hardly wait to go out again. There are days you just feel like driving a real piece of junk and just not bother to get out of thier way and let them crash into you to get them to pay attention.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 5, 2012 at 08:19 AM
    Women (and I do love 'em) running late for work applying make up at 55MPH down Powers scares the bejesus out of me more than a teen texting.............
  • by Dean on Apr 5, 2012 at 08:16 AM
    Powers/Constitution Tuesday, 10:15AM. Chick in the red Honda proceeds to go through red light (from a dead stop) as I am starting my left turn (with a green arrow) You were completely oblivious until I blew my horn. Surprise, huh? I will give her credit though. She put down her phone that she was texting on long enough to flip me a bird. Next time, sweetie, I'll let you hit me and I'll collect. Promise.
      by Citizen on Apr 6, 2012 at 08:57 AM in reply to Dean
      That's awesome. I agree with you. You know though Dean she may have been late for one of her many Johns or to work a corner on south Nevada. You never know.
  • by t Location: colorado on Apr 5, 2012 at 08:15 AM
    We dont have texting on our phones, dont have it on there and kids cant text.
  • by truth on Apr 5, 2012 at 08:05 AM
    Distracted driving is dangerous. I will stop when state troopers and police stop using their labtops and phones while driving. Do as i say not as i do, is bull
      by Jay on Apr 5, 2012 at 10:08 AM in reply to truth
      Saw a cop on a cellphone pull a U-turn at a busy intersection this morning. Why aren't officers using bluetooths?
      by Greg on Apr 6, 2012 at 06:59 AM in reply to truth
      Your statement is pretty stupid. Just because someone else is doing it, you'll continue? What's it gonna take to stop idiots like you? killing someone else, or just yourself. I see morons like you every day out on the highway and wonder when they will stop trying to justify their stupidity by using others' idiotic acts as an excuse. Grow a pair and learn how to drive responsibly or walk!
  • by Dom on Apr 5, 2012 at 06:02 AM
    Teens will do what they see not what they r told. Adults must stop if we want our teens to stop.
      by Sure on Apr 5, 2012 at 10:07 AM in reply to Dom
      Hahaha. You must not be a parent of teens. I have 3 and let me tell you, there are plenty of things that they do that they were NOT taught by me. Peer influence has far more weight on these things than dear old mom and dad. If their friends are doing it, they are going to be more likely to do it.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 146215715 - kktv.com/a?a=146215715