A fire at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo was contained to the gift shop, and never threatened any of the animals residing nearby.
The fire was reported just after 7 a.m. Friday. People in the area said they could see smoke rising from the zoo and worried about the welfare of the animals. But the Colorado Springs Fire Department said none of the zoo's animals were ever in danger.
It took firefighters several minutes to find the source of the smoke, but it was eventually located in the basement of the zoo's gift shop. Crews found flames among the boxes of stored goods.
Firefighters got the fire under control within 12 minutes. It was declared completely out before 8 a.m. It's still unknown how the fire started.
The zoo will be open Friday for normal business hours. The gift shop will be closed for the fire investigation.