Food On Stove Causes Apartment Fire

Flames tore through a local apartment building on Thursday evening.

Investigators have confirmed a resident left food on the stove and it burned out of control.

The fire broke out just before 5 p.m. at the Courtyard Estates on East Pikes Peak near Murray in Colorado Springs.

The fire marshal says residents in eight to 10 apartments are displaced.

Melissa Peebles was watching TV when her next door neighbor started frantically knocking on her door.

“She said, 'I've got a fire in my kitchen, I don't know what to do. I fell asleep with grease on the stove,'” Peebles explained.

Peebles called 911 and ran out to alert other neighbors as thick smoke poured out of a second story apartment and filled the hallway.

“I just saw the flames coming out and it scared me. I started crying,” Paola Banfi said.

Fire crews battled the blaze and soon got the fire out. Peebles only had time to grab her dog. She soon learned she has no apartment to go home to.

“You don't realize how important life is until you see everything that fire can do, and everything it can take from you."

One person was treated for minor injuries. The fire was under control shortly after 5:30 p.m.


KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.

If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.

powered by Disqus
KKTV 520 E. Colorado Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Office: (719) 634-2844 Fax: (719) 632-0808 News Fax: (719) 634-3741
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 246434671 - kktv.com/a?a=246434671