Police in Westminster investigating the disappearance of Jessica Ridgeway are taking possible sightings of the 10-year-old in Maine seriously.
Police in Maine are looking for a vehicle that could be related to Jessica’s disappearance.
According to Dexter Police Sergeant Alan Ginnell, a woman claimed she saw a girl that looked like Jessica at about 4 p.m. Sunday in Dexter, about 30 miles northwest of Bangor, Maine. The woman said the girl was in a light blue Buick with a roof rack. The car had Colorado plates, but the woman was unable to get the number.
The woman who called police said she did not know about the missing girl investigation until Tuesday when she was surfing the internet and saw the information about the search for Jessica.
Westminster police spokesman Trevor Materasso said they are taking the possible sighting of Jessica seriously and are working with police in Maine.
Ridgeway is now listed on the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children list. The following is known about her disappearance:
-Jessica Ridgeway, 10, disappeared on her way to school Friday morning. After leaving home on foot, she never met up with friends she normally walks to school with at Chelsea Park. The park is about three blocks from her home and about a mile from the school.
- When she didn’t arrive at Witt Elementary School in Westminster, Jefferson County Schools officials tried to contact her mother. They made a call at 10 a.m. but were only able to leave a voicemail. Ridgeway’s mother, who works an overnight shift and sleeps during the day, didn’t get the message until 4:30 p.m. and immediately contacted Westminster police.
- It took about five hours before the protocols were met in the case for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation to call an Amber Alert.
- Ridgeway’s backpack was found on the sidewalk near Alpha Court and Andrew Drive in the Rock Creek neighborhood in Superior. That’s 6.4 miles away from her home. It’s unknown so far at what point the backpack wound up there.
- The CBI is analyzing the backpack for DNA evidence and is collecting evidence from Ridgeway’s home for comparison.
- Searches have taken place around Jessica’s home and her school, as well as in open space areas in Westminster. Another area that has undergone an extensive search is Rock Creek and open space areas near there.
A dozen different police agencies are helping Westminster police in their search for Ridgeway.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus