Suspect's Mother Describes Surrender

By: KKTV Email
By: KKTV Email
A KKTV 11 News report contributed to a suspect

Brittney Angel

A witness to a deputy-involved shooting says a KKTV 11 News report contributed to a suspect's decision to turn herself in.

The witness says that Brittney Angel's mother saw our report Wednesday night and convinced her daughter to surrender. Angel's mother reportedly drove her to the county jail, where she was taken into custody just before 1 a.m. Thursday.

In an e-mailed response to KKTV Thursday night, a woman who identifies herself as Angel's mother writes, "Brittney was scared and did not know how to handle things alone so she reached out for my help. I did not pressure her in any way she made the choice 100 percent on her own."

She goes on to indicate Angel had been considering turning herself in for days before the report aired.

"I am most sorry for the loss of life and my heart and prayers go out to [Christen Lea Vargas'] family and friends," her message said.

Angel was wanted on charges of of felony eluding and tampering with evidence.

She was allegedly in the car that ran over a deputy’s foot on Tuesday, September 13, outside the Chief Motel on South Nevada around 7:30 p.m. After the deputy was hit by the car, he fired into the vehicle. The bullet struck Christen Vargas, who died of the wound.

According to a witness--who says he was in the car with Vargas, Angel, and one other person--after Vargas was hit, Angel grabbed the wheel while the car was moving, and was only thinking about making an escape.

"She said she didn't want to go to jail, so she wasn't going to the hospital," he said.

The witness says she was in the process of complying when the deputy fired.

Police and deputies later discovered that Vargas was wanted on four felony charges and that the two women were driving a stolen vehicle.

Because the deputy fired within city limits, the Colorado Springs Police Department was notified and detectives from the Violent Crimes Section were assigned to the case.

Two deputies at the scene Tuesday night, including the one who was hit by the car, have been placed on routine paid administrative leave as the shooting is investigated. They are not being identified.

• by Hmmmm on Sep 24, 2011 at 05:55 PM
    Too much Cyprus Hill for these hoes.
  • by truth be told on Sep 23, 2011 at 03:37 PM
    Dear KKTV, At this time I do not wish to give you an interview, however, I do want to get the facts straight for you.. Brittney was in the process of turning herself into authorities days before your "Investigation Story" aired. Fact... I didn't even watch it till this morning, your story had no influence what so ever on this event. I did not force Brittney to turn herself in, she called me for help and support several days before and I was working with authorities to safely surrender her. Brittney was scared and did not know how to handle things alone so she reached out for my help. I did not pressure her in any way she made the choice 100% on her own. The media has already made Brittney look like a really bad person, but as a reporter/journalist/human being you know there is always many versions to a story . There are four sides to this one...one will never be heard... Two others have given their account and Brittney will now get the chance to tell the events as she recalls them. All parties including your witness are scared and hurting and need support from those around them so that the whole truth can come to light as it has not yet. My duty as a mother is to be supportive and to hold my child accountable at the same time. In order to do that at this moment I must reserve my words and energy for when they are most needed. At a later date it may be possible to sit and answer questions for KKTV but now is not the time and I will ask that you respect my privacy and that of my family and friends. The wheel's of Justice are now turning and all I can hope for is that the truth be known , minds be rested and hearts be healed. I am most sorry for the loss of life and my heart and prayers go out to "Chewy's" family and friends.. Sincerely, Lory (Brittney's mother)................09/22/2011
      by Maria on Sep 23, 2011 at 08:28 PM in reply to truth be told
      Are you also sorry that they ran over a police mans foot because they decided to run and not go to jail? Or are you praying for the family of the man that had to pull the trigger because he thought his life was at risk? Are you rallying around the policemen for support as well? I do hope your privacy is respected, but I hope your giving respect to all that truly deserve it.
        by truth be told on Sep 24, 2011 at 09:40 AM in reply to Maria
        Maria.. I am also praying for him and his family... my partner and many close friends are peace officers. I know all to well that this is going to be something he has to live with no matter how it happen, taking a life is never something they set out to do. They are sworn to serve and protect but have to face choices and dangers daily. I ask that you not be terse with your words or pass judgement on anyone at this time. Again... My prayers go out to ALL PARTIES INVOLVED IN THIS TRAGEDY.
      by Lory on Sep 24, 2011 at 10:01 AM in reply to truth be told
      And while I am at it... let me apologize for there are many more then four sides to this story. All of them will be heard and whatever the truth is will come to the surface... it always does sooner or later. Again to the officers .. my prayers go to you and your loved ones. For the record.. I don't know who "truth be told" is or they got my letter to post... that is not the handle I wish to use , I only meant to reply to Maria, not to use their handle name... My name is Lory.
  • by speechless on Sep 23, 2011 at 07:20 AM
    I do not understand the media... I read the letter that Brittney mother wrote to KKTV and that reporter STILL made it sound like she was only THINKING about it and that they had something to do with it. This station is putting a spin on this that is not accurate, including the clip they are cutting so much out of there :( I am so disappointed in their tactics.
  • by reply to b real Location: cs on Sep 22, 2011 at 10:56 PM
    Think about is B Real- cspd is city but the city is in el Paso county so there for the epcso has jurisdiction over it if need be just as el Paso county is in the state so the csp has jurisdiction if need be.
  • by david on Sep 22, 2011 at 09:52 PM
    The police are deadly and the criminals need to understand....cspd will kill you.
      by Gram on Sep 23, 2011 at 05:47 AM in reply to david
      Police officers have the same rights as all other citizens....including the right to self defense.
  • by Josh on Sep 22, 2011 at 09:49 PM
    How awful that you have to claim this thing as your daughter, or that you even would, she's nasty! *burp* excuse me, just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
  • by B REAL on Sep 22, 2011 at 09:18 PM
    If the officer life was in danger why was his foot the only injury and nothing else and why was the EPCSD serving warrants in the city limits without CSPD being there to assist ?
      by MAYBE on Sep 22, 2011 at 10:45 PM in reply to B REAL
      Maybe you should read up on your statutes. They don't need CSPD there to server warrants, or even court papers. If she was not guilty of anything she wouldnt have had to run. Im glad our officer(s) will be able to return to duty soon. Chasing down the bad guys, thats what we need!
  • by Me Location: here on Sep 22, 2011 at 05:49 PM
    I dont care what she did she didnt deserve to die thats not justice. R.I.P Chewy and if anyone has anything bad to say about it you should look at yourself no one is perfect it could have been you. At the wrong place at the wrong time. Let her rest now.
      by LOL on Sep 22, 2011 at 08:17 PM in reply to Me
      R.I.P. Chewy? Whats your nickname, skywalker? It sads that she is passed, but it sounds like most of her life was at the wrong place at the wrong time. She should have hung out at your house. Its her PERSONAL choices that ended her life. Your absolutely right, no one is perfect. I guarantee you though, I will not run from an officer. I hope she does rest in peace, because it sounds like her life was nothing but turmoil. Do you even know what that word means?
        by me on Sep 23, 2011 at 07:39 PM in reply to LOL
        No need to be so rude! And no I dont have no nick name. Yea I know what turmoil means im not stupid and she is in a better place now. And she should of been at my house she would still be here. My place was her safe haven. No bad people no drug addicts no so called friends. Just me and mt daughter,a warm bed,and plenty of food. Ur right it was her choice to be where she was. But it was the cops choice for shooting. Anyways im gunna pray for everyone involved! Have a good night Mr LOL
          by ooh me oh my on Sep 23, 2011 at 08:31 PM in reply to me
          So you would have housed a wanted felon, and you have a child? I wouldnt think that was good parenting, but who am I to judge you? Again I am sorry she has passed, but better choices could have been made...
  • by madeindetroit Location: colorado springs on Sep 22, 2011 at 04:13 PM
    stolen car, assult on a officer, 4 felony warrants, fleeing and eluding...where is the argument? This vargas girl is clearly at fault. End of story.
  • by Anonymous on Sep 22, 2011 at 02:49 PM
    I agree 100 percent. I'd like to nominate you for President!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130160688 - kktv.com/a?a=130160688