Update: Employee Fired After Serving Children Alcohol

More Video...

Six children all under the age of 8 years old were served alcohol at the Colorado Springs Joe's Crab Shack location.

Joe's Crab Shack's corporate office tells 11 News that the employee has been fired for "not following procedure."

The business is also working with the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control to prevent another mistake.

They tell 11 News they also sent out a senior management team to retrain all the employees on beverage service and standards.

In a statement, Joe's Crab Shack Corporate said:

"We are doing everything we can to ensure that an incident like this does not happen again in the future."

When 11 News reached out to the family of the kids that had been served, they said they had not been contacted by the company and did not know about what happened to the employee.

--- Previous Coverage from November 6 ---
A tableful of young kids served booze at a local restaurant--and Joe's Crab Shack has confirmed with 11 News that they are investigating.

Joe's Crab Shack in Colorado Springs is a go-to stop when the Montoyas' family comes to visit.

"One of my aunt's favorite places to eat is Joe's when she comes into town," said Trista Montoya.

The whole family along with several kids, ages 2 to 8 years old, had dinner there on Wednesday.

"The kids were asking for a "Shark Nibble" ... it's a kids drink off the menu," said Omar Montoya.

About 30 minutes after the drinks were brought to the table, the Montoyas say a waitress came back, took the drinks and said they were made with the wrong ingredients.

"Then the managers actually came back with the tray of drinks and then let us know that they had accidentally poured alcohol into our kids' beverages," said Omar.

The Montoyas and their family were frightened, especially since their 2-year-old niece had already finished her drink at that point.

"[The manager] said it was 'mislabeled' and we were a little bit concerned with that kind of response," said Omar.

It is still not clear how the alcohol got into the children's drinks.

"You order these drinks, and you order them off the kids menu with the intent that you're providing your child with something safe and that the restaurant is doing their job," said Omar.

The Montoyas say when one of the kids started complaining she didn't feel well, they called paramedics just to be safe.

Colorado Springs paramedics checked out the kids and sent them home. Now these concerned parents are hoping this doesn't happen to anyone else.

"I hope that other parents are cognizant of that and take that into consideration when they are ordering these drinks...what is in each and every one of these drinks," said Trista.

Joe's Crab Shack's corporate office released this statement to 11 News:

"Joe’s Crab Shack is aware of this incident at the Colorado Springs Location, and we are investigating this matter internally. We do not condone underage service of any kind. Our guests can rest assured that our processes are continuously examined so that incidents like this are avoided. "

Colorado Springs police have handed over the case to their liquor team for review.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
KKTV 520 E. Colorado Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Office: (719) 634-2844 Fax: (719) 632-0808 News Fax: (719) 634-3741
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 281876311 - kktv.com/a?a=281876311
Gray Television, Inc.