Bond Raised For Accused Hit-And-Run Driver

By: Alyssa Chin/Karen Morfitt/KKTV Email
By: Alyssa Chin/Karen Morfitt/KKTV Email

A judge has decided to raise the bond for David Henley Jr., the man accused of fatally hitting a teenager with his truck and leaving the scene.

Court records show that Henley has been in trouble with the law more than 35 times, mostly for traffic offenses.

The judge said he decided to raise the bond for the fatal hit-and-run from $10,000 to $100,000 because of the likelihood of Henley’s re-offending and the possibility of his being a flight risk.

On May 10, bond was also raised on the two other outstanding traffic charges against Henley. At the time of the deadly collision, he was out on $1,000 bond for two separate traffic charges. Both were increased to $15,000, making the total current bond $130,000.

According to court documents, Henley arrived at a house on South Circle shortly after the crash that killed 14-year-old Ricardo Gonzolez-Figueroa. One of the callers who tipped off police was headed to the same home with a friend and passed the accident scene on the way.

Documents reveal the tipster told police Henley admitted to hitting someone and that he was concerned the impact may have been fatal. The papers also say the caller saw the truck in the driveway, which matched the description of the vehicle involved in the hit-and-run.

The tip led to Henley’s arrest.

Figueroa's family declined to speak after the bond hearing, but did ask the judge to raise the amount to help keep the community safe.

Henley's girlfriend, Heather Ruttle, did speak after the hearing. "He did not mean to do this, he's not a monster," she said. "He shouldn't have been driving and we all know that but you have to get places, and it was an accident. What happened was an accident."

A preliminary hearing was set for June 12. It will determine whether there is enough evidence to send the case to trial.

If Henley is convicted in Figueroa's death, he could serve up to 16 years behind bars--and maybe even more than that because of his past.

• by Jade Location: Colorado Springs on May 5, 2012 at 05:56 PM
    Ricardo was one of my friends. He was always so sweet and didn't have a problem with anyone, nor did they have problems with him. I've known him for around three years and this just cuts me so deep. He didn't deserve this. Nobody deserves that. It's so cruel. Not even to stop. I love Ricardo so much still, and will never forget him. Somebody needs to catch the person that did this to him and his family and friends. It's not okay, and I hope that he gets put behind bars for the rest of his life. Ricardo was the nicest kid I have ever known. Literally, the nicest. It's so nice that we all gathered and sat at that parking lot for him. He is just so brilliant, and I am still in disbelief and denial. The shock of it all is fading away and I'm just so emotional. I wish that he could come back but since I know that can't happen, I just want that sick person to get off the streets for good! <3 I LOVE YOU, RICARDO.
  • by pc Location: c/s on May 5, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    I don,t know the Gonzalez family but I just want to express my condolances to the family. Their story is so sad and my heart goes out to them. There will be many people on the look out for this coward and hopefully any one protecting him will be honorable to turn him in. Your son sounds as though he was truely a great and caring young man. No one can take your precious memories of him away.
  • by Burbank on May 5, 2012 at 08:35 AM
    My profound sympathy to the Gonzalez family and to those who knew him. I don't know if the driver who took the promise of this young man was avoiding legal problems by fleeing, but he/she will face the moral issues. They have traded inconvenience of being arrested for their very soul. To the driver who killed a person and wounded his family: may your choices and bad decisions gnaw at your heart and soul every single night as you try to sleep, knowing that you have done something you cannot undo, finding absolutely no solace or peace the rest of your days. You can confess, and possibly be forgiven by bigger people than I, but you killed a person, and a little of all those who loved him.
  • by Anonymous on May 5, 2012 at 07:43 AM
    a poster on another site said look for license # 860 kep 0r 890 kep...maybe he might be the person
      by Jon on May 5, 2012 at 03:28 PM in reply to
      Unfortunately if it was that easy then the police would undoubtedly have him already. But please keep on looking...
  • by Time on May 5, 2012 at 06:33 AM
    Its time for the driver to do the right thing...come forward.
  • by Mouse on May 5, 2012 at 06:25 AM
    I will most certainly be looking for this vehicle. Anyone who knows this vehicle should be charged with obstruction if they do not come forward. What a cowardly thing to do.
  • by Cos Location: Cos on May 4, 2012 at 11:14 PM
    So sad...
      by Anonymous on May 5, 2012 at 09:28 AM in reply to Cos
      What did that kid ever do to anyone? Whoever did this needs to come out and say it because your consequences are just getting worse by hiding!:(
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 150268305 - kktv.com/a?a=150268305