Man Crashes Into Own Carport, Causing Gas Leak

A homeowner's mistake causes an accident and gas leak right in front of his home on the west side of Colorado Springs. The Springs Fire Department stopped the leak.

Only 11 News was there and talked with the homeowner. The 80-year-old man said he'll probably stop driving because of this accident.

We also talked to his neighbor right after the accident happened. Amy Barra moved in over the summer; she said her neighbors are wonderful people.

Just before 5 p.m. Saturday night, she was shocked to see and hear her neighbor crash through his own carport. When I talked to her, she was visibly shaken up.

"You don't expect to see something like this so close to home," Barra said.

When firefighters arrived on scene, they immediately plugged up the gas leak and started to air out the home. Barra talked to the driver's wife, who believes he accidentally slipped off the brake and onto the gas pedal.

"It was kind of like 'oh my God' because if you smelt everything you'd be just as shook up. (The gas smell) was bad. It was really, really bad," Barra said.

No one was injured in this crash. We’re told these townhomes use gas for their heaters. The driver's home was the only one affected.

Investigators say drugs and alcohol were not factors in this crash.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
KKTV 520 E. Colorado Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Office: (719) 634-2844 Fax: (719) 632-0808 News Fax: (719) 634-3741
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 180723321 -
Gray Television, Inc.