It was a scary situation for a local family on Monday morning as a fire broke out on their front porch.
At 11 a.m. Monday, fire crews responded to a home on Mid Jones Road in Calhan. That's just north of Highway 94 East. The mother told 11 News she was inside with her four kids when they started to smell smoke.
Ellicott firefighters say the homeowners had placed smoldering ashes from their fireplace into a plastic bucket and set it out on the front porch. They say wind stirred up the embers and started the fire.
The family used buckets of water to get the flames out as firefighters arrived.
"We were in the house, and the next thing I know the whole wall started smoking. We opened the front door and the whole porch was on fire,” homeowner Jennifer Meade explained.
A similar situation happened early Sunday morning when a Colorado Springs man accidentally started a fire on his deck. According to CSFD, the man was cleaning out his fireplace when hot embers fell on the deck.
Fire crews say when you are disposing your wood ashes, it's best to use a metal container with a tight-fitting lid.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.