Healthier School Lunches

By: KKTV Email
By: KKTV Email

If your kid buys lunch at school, their food is about to get healthier. Wednesday, the USDA announced new nutrition standards.

Those standards include more fruits and veggies. As part of the new regulations, school lunches will include fruits and vegetables every day of the week, as well as more whole grains and less salt and fat. They'll also require fat free or low fat milk and limited calories and portion size.

Just last week, 11 News told you about a proposed new Colorado law that would make our state's guidelines the most limiting in the nation by barring any foods that contain trans fats.

11 News spoke with District 11 last week, and they told us the idea of healthier school lunches is something districts have already been working toward.

The new national guidelines are part of an effort to help curb childhood obesity, and they'll be phased-in over three years.

• by Eric Location: - on Jan 27, 2012 at 03:16 PM
    Improving the diets of our kids might actually help prevent premature puberty: http://nutritionfacts.org/videos/protein-puberty/
  • by Nath Location: Colo Spgs on Jan 26, 2012 at 04:14 AM
    Show me where in the Constitution it says the feds have any authority to dictate what is served in school lunches. I have always thought the "nutritional pyramid" was upside down because it has grains (starch) as it's base. Serving low or no-fat milk is not good for kids, milk fat is not a transfat. Taking away seasoning from the lunches is a sure fire way for the food to wind up in the garbage, they are already bland enough. Another thing I think promotes weight gain is growth harmones given to livestock and fowl so they go to market sooner thus increasing the profit margin. When I was a kid during the early 1950's, the onset of puberty was around 12 years of age, now some kids are starting to develop as early as 8 or 9, most likely due to residual harmones in the meat. I wonder what the people proposing these standards eat? You can bet it's not the same as they want school kids to eat. Back in the '50s, each school had a full kitchen where many moms of the kids going to school worked for the district. We had real (seasoned) meals, yes with veggies, meat, whole milk, an apple or orange, some days a sweet dessert, and on Fridays there was always fish. Our food trays were twice the size of the little things used today. We didn't have couch potato games back then either, we were always out running off calories.
  • by Lisa Location: Colorado Springs on Jan 25, 2012 at 09:32 PM
    I have 4 kids that attend a district 11 school. This year their school started serving more "nutritious" food and my kids refused to eat it. I went to lunch with my youngest to see what the problem was and the food was horrible. Don't get me wrong I am in favor of serving healthy meals but if you can't prepare food the right way then what's the point?
  • by ?? on Jan 25, 2012 at 07:34 PM
    Good luck getting the kids to eat it. I know mine wouldn't, they would rather go hungry
  • by Ashley on Jan 25, 2012 at 05:43 PM
    Fruits and vegs and food prepared by cooks that are not packaged are cheaper in the long run, the schools may have to pay to teach the lunch ladies how to prepare food better thou. But the food they served in schools in the 90s and even mid-2000s when I was in school was nasty looking and I wouldn't touch it, actual food even if it was veggys was way more appealing to me. If it does cost a little more then so be it, the cost of a school lunch was probably going to go up anyways because as the price of food goes up the people selling food also have to increase their prices. They can't fix childhood obesity b/c it is only one or two meals a day but at least they will be providing healthier options and if a child doesn't want to eat it, they probably aren't eating it at home either.
  • by M Location: Cspgs on Jan 25, 2012 at 05:07 PM
    Funniest thing? Look at the test market results! IT FAILED! Costs out of control, and the kids wouldn't touch the food! They had more than 3 times the amount of food thrown out in California. My kids will be taking their lunches. Atleast then they will eat.
  • by Robyn Location: Colorado Springs on Jan 25, 2012 at 03:16 PM
    They keep talking about battling childhood obesity, but the solution really needs to start at home. One meal a day isn't going to change a child's eating habits. Plus, if they really want to make school lunches healthier, they need to make the stuff from scratch and not have pre-packaged items that are full of who knows what. The one thing I never hear about with these articles is whether the schools are also taking into account the whole exercise aspect. One of my pet peeves is that my daughter's school doesn't let the kids run around when they have to stay indoors for recess. They have to sit at their desks and color or something. Open up the gym and let the kids be active for a short time.
  • by Dino on Jan 25, 2012 at 03:05 PM
    Yeah Yeah Yeah, reduce the portions and raise the prices. That's going to stop a child from eating that brownie when he or she gets home.
  • by R Location: Former Resident on Jan 25, 2012 at 02:32 PM
    I'm curious to know if those fruits the schools serve will be packed in high fructose corn syrup and if the vegetables are going to be canned or frozen. In that case, it's not really a healthy lunch is it? Instead you will have kids on a sugar high which is one of the main causes of cavities and/or a contributor of obesity...... Healthier? Let's reevaluate this in another year.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138077138 - kktv.com/a?a=138077138