In fire-plagued Colorado, residents shouldn't need a reminder of just how easy it is for a fire start, but according to firefighters some people are still making careless decisions.
Firefighters say a small grass fire in the area of Woodmen and Powers was likely started when someone threw a cigarette butt out a car window.
The fire grew to one acre before crews got it contained.
Firefighters warn it's just too easy for a fire to start to even take the chance of tossing a cigarette out your window.
"This is going to be the time that we need to be real careful; citizens need to use caution with careless acts. Had this fire had a home right there where engine 20 is at, this very easily could have turned into a much worse situation," Lt. Mark Trudall with the Colorado Springs Fire Department said.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.