A fire believed to be extinguished Tuesday flared up again Wednesday, forcing six people out of their home.
One of the men living in the home, part of a duplex on the 1400 block of San Miguel, smelled the smoke around 2 a.m. and alerted the rest of his family. The duplex did not have a smoke detector, making it extremely fortunate that the man smelled the smoke.
"I mean all of us, we could have slept right through this," tenant Laurene Hurley said.
"Her room was full of smoke and you could barely see when we woke up. We were scrambling to get the animals out."
With wind chill temperatures hovering in the single digits, the evacuated residents waited in the neighboring home while firefighters tore out the bathroom wall to access the smoldering fire.
"It was pretty scary, and it felt like the coldest night of the year," Hurley said.
11 News has learned that insulation in the wall originally caught on fire Tuesday morning while a plumber was doing repair work in the shower. The family says the plumber assured them that he had gotten the fire out, and sealed up the wall after finishing his work.
Remnants of the fire were then trapped behind the wall, and reignited at some point.
The Colorado Springs fire chief says the fire has been ruled accidental, but confirms the repair work Tuesday was the cause of Wednesday's fire.
Damage to the duplex was limited to the bathroom wall.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus