It will be at least a day before three people can go back home after a fire early this morning.
The fire broke out at a Duplex on West End Avenue. That’s on the west side of the Springs.
Firefighters tell 11 News the fire started in the chimney after the residents were burning trash in the fireplace. Investigators tell us the fire started in a pipe and quickly spread up the chimney. It is unclear if the embers reignighted or if the fire was left unattended.
The chimney had not been inspected in over two years, and the fire department recommends having a chimney inspection annually.
Three adults who live in the Duplex were able to get out.
One firefighter was hurt when part of a wall fell on her. She is expected to recover.
Firefighters are still assessing a damage estimate, however, they say the fire was contained to the chimney.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.