Three people have been injured in a home explosion near a leak in a natural gas line in Grand Junction.
Xcel Energy says a construction crew unaffiliated with the utility had been working in the area.
Authorities say firefighters were at the leak site Tuesday afternoon when they spotted a fire at the home, which then exploded due to the gas inside. One person in the home is out of the hospital, but two others remain hospitalized.
The home and one next door were left to burn to use up leaking gas.
Grand Junction High School was evacuated but will be open Wednesday. Tope Elementary remains evacuated. About 75 homes also were evacuated through Tuesday night.
The incident temporarily left Colorado Mesa University without gas and 104 buildings without electricity.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus