Credit: Kari Rubalcaba
Black smoke streamed out of an auto shop Saturday, attracting a crowd of onlookers who watched as firefighters sprung into action.
The fire, which started at the CR Custom Repairs on 407 Auburn Drive, near Academy and Platte, was put out quickly, according to witnesses on scene, who credited firefighters for their rapid response.
The fire produced thick, black smoke seen for miles. It began to fade to white as the flames dwindled down, according to one witness.
According to employees at the shop, they were filling up a fuel tank when static electricity caused a spark. As fumes began to catch fire, spreading to the gas can, the employee holding the can dropped it, causing the flames to spread.
Two cars were destroyed, while a storage room full of auto parts and a wall were damaged. The building also got a lot of smoke damage.
Other than the employee holding the gas can, who burned his hand, there were no injuries to anyone involved.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus