Fire crews and a Hazmat team were called out to the Flying Horse County Club in Colorado Springs on Wednesday night after a lifeguard noticed an acid spill in a swimming pool pump room.
He called for help around 8 p.m. Wednesday from the rec center at the country club, at 1880 Weiskopf Point on the northeast side of the Springs, off of Highway 83.
No one was injured by the spill. The leak came from a hydrochloric acid pump that helps balance the pH levels in the kids swimming pool at the center. 80 gallons were spilled from a 100-gallon barrel of acid, but the dangerous chemical was all contained in a fluid trap. That large amount leaked out over several hours, and it took Hazmat several hours clean up the danger and neutralize the acid with baking soda.
The pump room leak will have to be fixed. It's not clear how long the leak will impact swimming at the center.
Stay with 11 News and KKTV.com as more details on this spill become available.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.