Child Playing With Lighter Destroys Pueblo Home

By: Josh Earl Email
By: Josh Earl Email

A Pueblo family is looking for a place to live after their house was gutted this Thursday morning by a fire. The fire started in a closet where a three year old was playing with a lighter.

The boys parents, Lisa Griffin and Duane Hill say this isn't the first time he has played with fire. They say they have warned him about the dangers and thought they had the problem taken care of. Both parents are smokers but say they are usually pretty good about putting the lighters out of reach.

The house appears to be a total loss as are the families possessions. Baby pictures, report cards and other childhood memories were all destroyed.

Fire officials say its important for parents to be diligent in locking up matches and lighters.

Nobody was seriously injured in the fire, however Griffin did suffer minor burns to her left hand. The family is now searching for a new place to live.


KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.

If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.

powered by Disqus
KKTV 520 E. Colorado Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Office: (719) 634-2844 Fax: (719) 632-0808 News Fax: (719) 634-3741
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 8121847 - kktv.com/a?a=8121847
Gray Television, Inc.