Sky Sox Employee Injured by Fireworks

By: Katherine Cook Email
By: Katherine Cook Email


A Sky Sox employee was critically injured Saturday afternoon, after a firework blew up in his face. 47-year-old Rai Henninger was working near the fireworks bunker when a mortar shell exploded. Henninger sustained critical injuries to his face and head. He was transported to a local hospital and rescue crews believe he will survive.

A licensed pyrotechnician, Henniger was in charge of overseeing fireworks during, and after Sky Sox games. Sky Sox owner and general manager, Tony Ensos, says Henninger has been a Sky Sox employee for 17 years. Esnos says Saturday's accident has hit everyone in the organization very hard.

"Rai is loved by everyone," said Ensos. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family... this is a tough time for all of us."

Following the accident, fire crews made sure the area where the fireworks are kept was secure, to prevent additional accidents. Saturday's explosion is under investigation.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by karem Location: colorado springs on May 13, 2007 at 09:55 AM
    That is really sad, that happened. our family wishes him a prosperous recovery. We have been down to many of the games down there and always have loved the firework displays they put off and We hope that he makes a full recovery.Best wishes to him and his family.
  • by Brian Hayden Location: Colorado Springs on May 12, 2007 at 09:16 PM
    What a great firework show on Friday night, hope that Mr. Ensos recovers quickly..My thoughts and prayers are with him!
KKTV 520 E. Colorado Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Office: (719) 634-2844 Fax: (719) 632-0808 News Fax: (719) 634-3741
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 7479437 - kktv.com/a?a=7479437
Gray Television, Inc.