Health officials say a 28-year-old Alamosa County woman has died of hantavirus in the first Colorado case of the respiratory disease this year.
Health officials are investigating the source of her infection.
Epidemiologist John Pape (POP-ee) with the state health department says a preliminary investigation indicates she contracted the virus in her home.
The woman, whose name and hometown were not released, died Friday.
Hantavirus is commonly spread through exposure to infected deer mice. Humans can be infected by inhaling the virus during direct contact with the mice or if dust or feces from mice nests is disturbed.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus