The Colorado drought is drying up more than just the forest. It's also drying up people's homes. Firefighters say wooden decks and side paneling are extremely dry and can easily go up in flames if you're not careful with cigarettes or grills.
It's so dry firefighters say there's a 99% chance of embers or sparks igniting another fire. That's up from a normal 20%.
Firefighters say, on Saturday, a turkey roaster sparked a fire on the dry wooden deck at a home in Briargate. The fire quickly spread and destroyed the home.
Jim Schanel with the springs fire department says even a barbecue grill can ignite the wood if you're not careful. Schanel also says that fires have sparked on decks where people put out their cigarettes in outside planters.
Firefighters say pretty much the only thing you can do is be careful grilling and smoking, especially on decks. Put your cigarettes out in a tin can filled with sand, or even better, a glass of water.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.