A story you'll only see on 11 news…
A Colorado Springs woman battles the flesh eating disease and lives to tell about her "Miracle Recovery". We first introduced you to Shayla Baier back in August. At that time, doctors told her family that they didn’t think she was going to make it.
It all started when 21-year-old Shayla was rushed to Penrose Community Hospital in premature labor. Soon after her son, Garrett was born, Shayla discovered a red bump on her neck. That bump rapidly changed into the flesh eating bacteria. Shayla's chest and neck were getting eaten by the deadly disease and doctors don't think she was going to make it.
"I never imagined it happen to me," Shayla tells 11 News. Looking at her now, it's hard to believe that it's only been 6 months. She’s been through 5 surgeries later and has had a large skin graft. "They cut an inch and a half deep. They cut nerves, tendons and muscle."
Shayla is now getting a second chance at life and a chance to be a mom. "At first, this was upsetting; it was a lot to take in. Now, I’m happy to be here, I’m happy to have my son… I'm blessed."
According to doctors’ reports, Shayla may have contracted the disease when an open wound from repeated attempts to administer an IV got infected. She had what's called necrotizing fasciitis, a bacteria that produces toxins in your body. It eats away at your muscles and soft tissue.
"On cold days, it stiffens up and it’s hard to move my neck." Shayla has to rebuild the muscle; she does daily exercises at home. Doctors say Shayla's skin on her neck should return to normal in the next 6 months. By then, she can go back to work and start to drive again.
"We got our miracle," Mike Baier, Shayla’s dad said. "Christmas was wonderful, absolutely great. Shayla has her life and we have Garrett now." Mike says these past few months have been a strain on the family financially, but they're just happy to have her alive.
So, how rare is the flesh eating disease? The statistics vary because cases don't have to be reported to the county or state health department.
For more about Shayla and the flesh eating bacteria, Click Here