A three-alarm fire broke out Wednesday night on Stanton Street in Colorado Springs, destroying one home. Another home and a shed were damaged.
The fire started around 6:30 Wednesday night in the 1100 block of Stanton Street near the University of Colorado-Colorado Springs campus.
Firefighters confirm there are no victims of the fire, but 2 firefighters received minor injuries when they slipped on the ice.
When the fire broke out, homeowner Crystal Hohos and her family were out celebrating her mother's birthday when they got a startling phone call.
It was supposed to be a night for celebration. The family was out having dinner at the On the Border restaurant when a friend called her cell phone with a frantic message.
"She said, 'Oh my God, Crystal, your house is on fire. There are flames everywhere.' I thought it was a prank, thought it was a joke," said Hohos.
She and her family could hardly believe the news. They quickly rushed home and then saw the unthinkable. A smoky entrance to their neighborhood, now lined with firetrucks, with flames still visible from the burning homes.
"Basically I just couldn't think. I was in so much shock honestly, just a lot of shock. My kids were with me. Thank God none of us were there."
Firefighters were able to knock down the flames, but officials told the family that nothing was salvageable.
It's a nightmare she says she still hasn't fully realized.
"You always think, you see it happen, but never to you."
Hohos was living with her mother and two children at the house on Stanton Street.
The home is covered by insurance, which also paid for the family to stay in a hotel Wednesday night.
The Hohos family is afraid their pets did not survive. They had cats and dogs inside the house. A neighbor was able to let the dogs out, but the family is not sure about the cats.